Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Cooper Discoverer M+S - Anybody Use These?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
uncleelihu is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
uncleelihu's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper Discoverer M+S - Anybody Use These?

I've got a 2002 PreRunner, 4 cyl, stock rims, with 265/70 R16 Cooper Discoverer H/T tires on it.

Works fine for my normal highway/gravel road driving.

I'm looking for some snow tires for the rear, and thought it might be best to go with something similar to what is on the truck, only in a snow tire design. And, nope, not much snow where I live (North Texas), but anticipating a trip to Minnesota next month, so trying to prepare for that.

Anyone have experience with the Cooper Discoverer M+S? Or a recommendation for a good snow tire for mainly highway use?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I want to say that I saw a thread where somebody was having vibration issues with Cooper. I don't remember the model (and if it really was Cooper)
Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
We run the Coopers at work and they are nice tires. Great traction in M & S but they about gone in 35,000 miles, so swap them out when the weather straightens up.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Coast Guard:
Thanks for the info!

I'll likely get the Cooper M+S. The Coopers on the truck are doing fine for the conditions I encounter daily in this area.

A couple of rims for the snow tires will be gotten, as well. I prefer having the option of just bolting on the tires as needed.

Regards
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Father in law runs them, he got 35k from first set. Good snow/offroad tire. Not as soft and grippy as my Blizzaks, but they'll last longer, and take off-road abuse better. Highway? well its a snow tire, expect a little more noise and maybe a slight drop in mpg.

For Texas would think overkill, and actually for typical packed snow driving, the H/T is sipped pretty well. My sister runs them on a FWD only RAV4 and she gets double the snow I do.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Coast Guard:
I bought the PreRunner in May of this year to replace my POS 2005 Dakota 4X4 Quad Cab.

The PreRunner came with 31" BFG tires on it, which were what I had on my '95 F150 4X4 in Alaska. Road noise wasn't an issue in my small Alaskan town, where the max posted speed was 45 mph, but on the highway here on the PreRunner, I couldn't hear myself think!

So, a new set of the Coopers were installed and have worked well. For the few trips I will make to snow country, the M+S sound like they will do fine. I know they won't make the PreRunner into a 4X4, but they should do a better job than the H/T and I don't mind spending the $$ for a little "insurance".

With all the vehicles I have owned over the years ('71 Blazer 4x4, '76 F100 4x4, '78 F150 4x4, '95 F150 4x4, '96 LX450, & '05 Dakota 4x4, + others) this is my first Toyota pickup. I just love it, and wish I had bought one before now! I think the reason I didn't was because the early Toyotas were prone to rusting out where I lived in Alaska and on the Oregon coast.

I don't see myself buying another American made vehicle, and probably will stick to Lexus and Toyota for the future.

Thanks for the replies.