1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires choices/opinions are driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Jholder70, Feb 16, 2012.

?

What AT Tire

Poll closed Mar 17, 2012.
  1. Good Year Silent Armor

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Firestone Destination AT

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. BFG All-Terrain A/T

68 vote(s)
    71.6%
  4. Piss on it, drive the Bridgestone's until they fall off..

15 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    BARTRD

BARTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Volant CAI with optional skoop, Magna-Flow exhaust, K&N drop-in air filter, WeatherTechs, Wet Okole, kenwood navigation head unit, de-badged, 15% tint all around, factory roof rack fitted with Thule fairing, billy 5100 on all 4 corners, ICON AAL, n-fab light bar with 4 hella 500s, rear lights mounted under bumper
    Lol ok. I knew the rugged trails were worthless, but hadn't looked into the terrains. I still have a little time on this set but want to start doing my research now

2. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:07 AM
    wormfood

wormfood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    TRD Super Charger, UWS, All Pro expedition leaf spring pac, Icon stage 4 suspension, B.A.M.F LCA Skid plates, TC weld-on upper coil bucket tower gussets, TC weld-on spindle gussets with sway bar mounts. RTT, Thule Roof Rack, Thule, Leitner Active Cargo System, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, All Pro Front Bumper, All Pro Apex Sliders, Nilight - 60005C-A 20Inch 126W Spot Flood Combo Led Light Bar.
  3. Feb 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    Cvd2312

Cvd2312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    OME 885’s w/NitroCharger’s 3rd Gen Leaf Pack w/Icon Progressive AAL 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak’s 17x9 Raceline Defender Wheels
    I would run your stock tires until after you lift it....

A lot of people think they will want a certain size with a lift, only to find out that they want to go bigger once the lift is on.

As far as brand, you're going to ask 10 people on here and get 10 different opinions.

I've had Hankook DynaPro ATM's on my truck, and BFG All-Terrain's. The Hankooks really can't be beat for the money, those tires are awesome and drive like a dream.

However, in my opinion the BFG All-Terrain is the best looking all-terrain tire on the market, they really transform the look of a truck. I've only had them for a couple weeks, but I can say they are a little bit louder and stiffer than the Hankooks on the highway, but I really like them overall.

Just make your decision on your own, don't worry about some little issues somebody has with a certain tire.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I parrot this.

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I'll start by saying that I didn't read anyone's previous post. We could go on for hours about other tires, but I won't add any suggestions since you already have it narrowed down.

I voted for BFG AT because they have the steel belted sidewalls. They have been around for ever, and BFG is clearly not concerned about changing the design of them. We use them on ranch vehicles because they are extremely resistant to sidewall puncture. They are expensive, but I think you get what you pay for in that instance.

Personally, I elected to stick it out with the OEM tires. Mine came with the Dunlops, which are clearly not a tire of choice around here. However, I must say that I have been relatively impressed with them. I've had them on roads: concrete, asphalt, gravel and dirt. I've also driven them in sand, snow, mud, over rocky terrain and though a creek. I honestly can't say that I think it is a bad tire. I will continue to drive them until they need to be replaced.

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport

Rugged Trail and Rugger Terrain is not the same tire. :cool:

7. Feb 27, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    BARTRD

BARTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Volant CAI with optional skoop, Magna-Flow exhaust, K&N drop-in air filter, WeatherTechs, Wet Okole, kenwood navigation head unit, de-badged, 15% tint all around, factory roof rack fitted with Thule fairing, billy 5100 on all 4 corners, ICON AAL, n-fab light bar with 4 hella 500s, rear lights mounted under bumper
    How is the Rugged Terrain? Any better than the Trails?

8. Feb 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
  9. Mar 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    X2. Also depends on what all you need out of them. If you're driving that far then it would seem that ride quality and noise would be most important. For me, all things considered, price, life span, quietness, ride and wanted an aggressive looking tire, I went with Yokohama Geolander ATS and have been very happy for the month or so I've had them. There are so many choices out there. :goingcrazy: Good luck!

10. Mar 4, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
  11. Mar 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM
    YotaMatt

YotaMatt Livin Low, Ridin High

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    West Point VA
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    Spidertraxx 1.25" spacers in front and rear, 4" Maxtrac Spindles,Billy 5100s at 0", OME 885 Springs, 1/4" top spacer on both sides, 1.5" AAL, 3" Block, 1.5" 4crawler driveshaft spacer, 17x9 XD Spys with 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers, Magnaflow offroad Stainless Exhaust, Volant Intake with scoop,Camo emblems, BHLM, Tinted tailights, Anytime fog mod,Alpine Type R 12, Kicker 1000 watt amp,600 watt 4 channel memphis and all memphis components, 35%tint front all the rest at 5%, Hella 500s with sylvania zxe bulbs, sylvania zxe headlights, sylvania zxe fogs, Weathertech digi fits, flyzeye blue/white, LED map dome license plate lights, Redline hood struts, Tailgate EZ Down, Custom TRD Camo Browning Edition Bedsides, Camo wet okoles, Ridgid Dually bed lights, SOS Concepts Tire Carrier
    I second the Nitto..i had a set of the terra grapplers on my tundra and loved them...ended up switching to the trail grappler...which for a mt is very quiet and smooth(and they look friggin sweet) that is what will be going on my truck in the next 2 weeks..

12. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I've had the Destinations on for just about 50k miles. They're good tires but I've never felt the wet traction was all that great. Of course, compared to stock they're phenomenal (oem were on only 8k miles). They're great in the snow, however. I posted a thread way back in Dec '09 when I drove most of the way through 26" snowstorm before it go way dangerous. Keep in mind I have a Prerunner.

Having said that, I just bought GY Duratracs tonight. Don't read much into that, I just wanted more aggressive tires. I do feel that he Destinations are good tires and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Check out their #1 ranking on Tire Rack.

Products Discussed in

To Top