LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tires choices/opinions are driving me nuts!

View Poll Results: What AT Tire
Good Year Silent Armor 4 4.21%
Firestone Destination AT 8 8.42%
BFG All-Terrain A/T 68 71.58%
Piss on it, drive the Bridgestone's until they fall off.. 15 15.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Jholder70 has a spectacular aura aboutJholder70 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Jholder70's Tacoma Gallery
Tires choices/opinions are driving me nuts!

OK, So I have been trying to decide now for two months. I have a 2012 TRD Sport that came with the Bridgestones.

The stock tires ride great on the freeway and around town, but are next to worthless on any gravel, snow, sand etc..

I know this: I am going to get this size: 265/70 -17 white lettered, I am using the stock rims for now, and in the spring I am lifting 2.5 in front (billies) and AAL 1.5 in the rear.

Confusion is: BFG's (all terrain t/a), GoodYears (Silent Armor), or Firestones (destination AT) ?!?!? every time I get close to making a choice I read a post from someone about how the Good years don't balance, the firestones have week sidewall, the BFGs are.. well.. BFGs

AHHHHHH.. good solid experienced advice is what I need! Help
Attached Thumbnails
Tires choices/opinions are driving me nuts!-2-16-2012-2-14-59-pm.jpg   Tires choices/opinions are driving me nuts!-2-16-2012-2-21-44-pm.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jholder70 View Post
OK, So I have been trying to decide now for two months. I have a 2012 TRD Sport that came with the Bridgestones.

The stock tires ride great on the freeway and around town, but are next to worthless on any gravel, snow, sand etc..

I know this: I am going to get this size: 265/70 -17 white lettered, I am using the stock rims for now, and in the spring I am lifting 2.5 in front (billies) and AAL 1.5 in the rear.

Confusion is: BFG's (all terrain t/a), GoodYears (Silent Armor), or Firestones (destination AT) ?!?!? every time I get close to making a choice I read a post from someone about how the Good years don't balance, the firestones have week sidewall, the BFGs are.. well.. BFGs

AHHHHHH.. good solid experienced advice is what I need! Help

Really? I do not agree at all.

I had very good traction with my OE Bridgestones from 2' of snow to 2' deep sugar sand as well as thick mud. I ran them until they were bald.

The three choices you posted are NOT much better then stock IMO. If you really want something better get a aggressive AT.

Otherwise I would suggest learning how to use the skinny petal better and air down - 90% of making it somewhere is talent behind the wheel the other 10% is the truck.

I was able to make it up snowy hill climbs in my sport that offroads with better aftermarket tires couldn't.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Really? I do not agree at all.

I had very good traction with my OE Bridgestones from 2' of snow to 2' deep sugar sand as well as thick mud. I ran them until they were bald.

The three choices you posted are NOT much better then stock IMO. If you really want something better get a aggressive AT.

Otherwise I would suggest learning how to use the skinny petal better and air down - 90% of making it somewhere is talent behind the wheel the other 10% is the truck.

I was able to make it up snowy hill climbs in my sport that offroads with better aftermarket tires couldn't.

touche'
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the firestone at's five years this summer. I have never had a problem no matter what condition. I mainly drive on streets but I have taken them on the beach in NC, on the farm hunting and it got me to and from work when we had 20" plus of snow two years ago.

Good solid tire for many situations and a truck that is mainly a daily driver on the road.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
TacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud of
TacoSurf4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I FEEL YOUR PAIN MANNN!!!! I just got a fat bonus and am in the market for new tires as well. I can tell you I have the BFG AT's and love em!!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
OE Bridgestones in snow (aired down to 20psi in a LSD equipped Sport)

literally pushing snow

some fun on some hills

finally got stuck in a snow drift but that's only because I was highsided on the frame. oh and my front wheels were 3' off the ground lol
Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
of those 3, it's a toss up between the firestones and the silent armors. the bfg's would be my last choice. i got 100K out of a set, which is pretty good, but there are much less expensive tires that will give you the similar or better performance.

other tires i am surprised you did not consider: duratracs, hankook dynapro's.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #11

Air Force:
i needed to narrow it down... still 50 miles a day drive (hwy) to work.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
ok i see. fwiw, the firestone destination at was rated the #1 tire out of 19 on/offroad all terrains tested by the tire rack in overall performance (wet traction, dry traction, light snow, deep snow, hydroplaning resistance, cornering stability, steering response, etc). the michelin ltx at2 was second. the silent armors were ranked 4th. the bfg at was ranked 10th.

i came across this survey while shopping for tires for my 'burban. whether or not this influences you, i don't know, but they run these tires for literally millions of miles.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...0&autoModClar=
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Hankook ATm
X2

IMO, the combination of all of those tires good points.

TW community is really biased to the BFG AT's ... it's an old outdated tread pattern and the older they get the worse they perform.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
op: opinion's are like a**holes, everybody's got one. You wil ultimately just have to make up your own mind. All are good choices run by many people on here and well suported.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotacoma View Post
op: opinion's are like a**holes, everybody's got one. You wil ultimately just have to make up your own mind. All are good choices run by many people on here and well suported.
I concur.

Where OP needs to watch out is many people in here do what I call Parroting. They read an opinion on the web (which must be true) then when they see a situation arise they state the opinion as "fact" to another member even though they have no first hand knowledge at all. The member being told this "fact" believes the Parrot and bases some of his research off of their opinion.

Nothing drives me more crazy then some web wheeler who doesn't know shit and has never taken anything offroad parroting about what tires should be used for this or that.

Many products get a bad wrap because of parrots....and many more products get talked up by parrots.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I concur.

Where OP needs to watch out is many people in here do what I call Parroting. They read an opinion on the web (which must be true) then when they see a situation arise they state the opinion as "fact" to another member even though they have no first hand knowledge at all. The member being told this "fact" believes the Parrot and bases some of his research off of their opinion.

Nothing drives me more crazy then some web wheeler who doesn't know shit and has never taken anything offroad parroting about what tires should be used for this or that.

Many products get a bad wrap because of parrots....and many more products get talked up by parrots.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
ROAD DAWG is on a distinguished road
Navy: boatswains'mate,2nd
ROAD DAWG's Tacoma Gallery
i wanted to put 265-70-17's on my 2010 trd dc,shortbox,which came stock with 265-56-17,my wheel is "procomp 7501"(17 x 8,4.5 bs and 0 offset)the resident tacoma nerd at the dealership(actually he's suppose to be the best in the southeast) said that i wouldn't get away clean,with no rubbing or full articulation....he said it would rub "somewhere" and i would not have the advantage of complete articulation...the 265-65-17's are whimpy,but i thought that the "70's" would look better.the 2012 baja uses a 265-70-16..sure the rim is 1 in smaller and maybe that 1 in trade off in wheel diameter actually puts the "filling of the wheel well" back to near the same specs as the 17 in wheel set-up..i'm just not wanting to buy new wheels. the "4runners" use the 265-70-17,just not sure if wheel well clearance is the same on the two different vehicles(seem as thou they'd be the same).the "baja" series sits higher than my 2010 TRD,due to "bilstein race schocks and trd spec. springs along with resivoir shock ste-up in thr rear...problem #2...minimal lift for tire clearance....is it possible that those suspension peices from the "BAJA" be retro-fitted to my 2010 to ward off and "CRAZY BUMPS,CLUNKS,SCRAPPING,AND ALINGMENT ISSUES,that would be compatable with"VSC"..i don't want to have to live with a light in my face for life..i searched "TRD parts but couldn't find any BAJA suspension parts....any ideas?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAWG View Post
i wanted to put 265-70-17's on my 2010 trd dc,shortbox,which came stock with 265-56-17,my wheel is "procomp 7501"(17 x 8,4.5 bs and 0 offset)the resident tacoma nerd at the dealership(actually he's suppose to be the best in the southeast) said that i wouldn't get away clean,with no rubbing or full articulation....he said it would rub "somewhere" and i would not have the advantage of complete articulation...the 265-65-17's are whimpy,but i thought that the "70's" would look better.the 2012 baja uses a 265-70-16..sure the rim is 1 in smaller and maybe that 1 in trade off in wheel diameter actually puts the "filling of the wheel well" back to near the same specs as the 17 in wheel set-up..i'm just not wanting to buy new wheels. the "4runners" use the 265-70-17,just not sure if wheel well clearance is the same on the two different vehicles(seem as thou they'd be the same).the "baja" series sits higher than my 2010 TRD,due to "bilstein race schocks and trd spec. springs along with resivoir shock ste-up in thr rear...problem #2...minimal lift for tire clearance....is it possible that those suspension peices from the "BAJA" be retro-fitted to my 2010 to ward off and "CRAZY BUMPS,CLUNKS,SCRAPPING,AND ALINGMENT ISSUES,that would be compatable with"VSC"..i don't want to have to live with a light in my face for life..i searched "TRD parts but couldn't find any BAJA suspension parts....any ideas?

WUT THE F*CK DID YOU JUST SAY?

Try to form sentences in paragraphs (you know English) and maybe Ill try to read that

Is this a troll?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
ROAD DAWG is on a distinguished road
Navy: boatswains'mate,2nd
ROAD DAWG's Tacoma Gallery
whoaaaaa dude....take a "chill pill"...after i re-read my post,i'll admit i made some errors,but i thought my questions and concerns were basically clear enough,but evidently you must be the "on site grammer police",maybe you're having a bad day..who knows...no need to blow up on something so simple.if you have any usefull info then i'd greatly appreciate it,have a nice day.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The guy at the tire shop suggested BFG Rugged Terrains. Anybody heard of/running these?