Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

dealer says no alignment necessary?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
dealer says no alignment necessary?

Part of the deal for trading up to my new tacoma was a set of wheels and tires. Since I know some of the guys pretty well I asked, since they're putting new wheels and tires on and the tires sensor anyways if they could save me some time and slap in my billys and I would pay labor for that only but not the new wheels/tires and alignment since they have to do that for free anyways. One guy there claims they don't do an alignment on tire/wheel swap so I should pay that too?

Now is this guy legit or his he just claiming they don't usually do an alignment to get me to pay more?

More info: They're putting in Mickey Thompson Classic Locks and Pro Comp xtreme all terrains in 265/75r16 (1in. up from stock) shouldn't they align this since its new size, BS, os, and everything or is it too small of a change and he's telling me the truth?

Just wanna go in educated, thanks.

P.s. I know dealership labor usually = rape, but what's a range for reasonable pricing to put in four 5100s and a 1.5" 3 leaf progressive AAL because I don't mind doing it myself, I just figured for convenience sake, if they have the tools and the truck jacked up with the wheels off already, why not. . .

Thanks again guys
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
He's saying they don't usually do an alignment after installing a lift (assuming you have 5100s set on something otehr than stock)?

Wrong. Lift changes the geometry of the suspension, an alignment is recommended.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
It takes less than 20 minutes to align these trucks as long as camber/caster isin't out. No rear adjustment obviously. Just make them do it, tell them to quit being lazy. Not like it will hurt
anything.

Alignment isin't free I'm sure, either do it there or just go to Firestone and buy a lifetime alignment for like $149 (align it anytime you want)

Edit: If the truck is being lifted at all with suspension components, then HELL YES, you need an alignment afterwards.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
jordando89 is on a distinguished road

Name: jordan
jordando89's Tacoma Gallery
just got mine on and had to pay for $70 for alignment
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
One guy there claims they don't do an alignment on tire/wheel swap so I should pay that too?

Correct, if all they are supposed to do is a wheel/tire swap, no alignment is needed.. So if you are asking them to do extra work (that you are paying labor for) which will require an alignment, then the shop should not have to pay for the alignment.

Correct?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Swapping wheels/tires does not require alignment.

Adding a lift does. But, if you're throwing 5100's on @ zero setting, none req'd.

IMO, if you have the means to install it yourself, do it. Then spend the money for an alignment.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foihdzas View Post
Correct, if all they are supposed to do is a wheel/tire swap, no alignment is needed.. So if you are asking them to do extra work (that you are paying labor for) which will require an alignment, then the shop should not have to pay for the alignment.

Correct?
This is pretty much all I wanted to clarify, thanks. I didn't wanna be a prick and tell them to give me something free when they shouldn't, but at the same time didn't want to get charged for something they agreed to do anyways. . . Now I know that paying for the alignment is my share. . .

To clarify just in case some missed it or I want quite clear in the OP.
Labor for putting in new tires/wheels was already negotiated as free, I was trying to take advantage of the fact that my truck is already jacked up and de-wheeled to get my suspension thrown in cheaper.

I was supposed to drive away the day of purchase with the new tires/wheels but they made a mistake on tire size that didn't fit my new rims so I'm kind of capitalizing on the fact that it was their mistake that inconvenienced me (driving state to state)
Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
This is pretty much all I wanted to clarify, thanks. I didn't wanna be a prick and tell them to give me something free when they shouldn't, but at the same time didn't want to get charged for something they agreed to do anyways. . . Now I know that paying for the alignment is my share. . .

To clarify just in case some missed it or I want quite clear in the OP.
Labor for putting in new tires/wheels was already negotiated as free, I was trying to take advantage of the fact that my truck is already jacked up and de-wheeled to get my suspension thrown in cheaper.

I was supposed to drive away the day of purchase with the new tires/wheels but they made a mistake on tire size that didn't fit my new rims so I'm kind of capitalizing on the fact that it was their mistake that inconvenienced me (driving state to state)
I'd do the same thing if she was in the shop already on a hoist! But as Zac808 said ... if new billies are set at zero, no allignment req'd. Personally ... I would just do it myself, that way the stealership can't charge you for extra shit they pull out of their magic hats,

"Oh, well we had to replace your muffler, it had a unicorn in there, punching holes in it, and it was shitting in your filters... It'll cost you $99,000, but your truck is safe now"

<I don't like my local stealership btw>
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Swapping wheels/tires does not require alignment.

Adding a lift does. But, if you're throwing 5100's on @ zero setting, none req'd.

IMO, if you have the means to install it yourself, do it. Then spend the money for an alignment.
Your comment on not requiring an alignment if the 5100's are set at 0 depends on how they are installed. If they loosen any of the control arm bolts, then you should get it aligned afterwards.

Otherwise, agreed, swapping wheels are tires on a truck that's already properly aligned would not require an alignment.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Your comment on not requiring an alignment if the 5100's are set at 0 depends on how they are installed. If they loosen any of the control arm bolts, then you should get it aligned afterwards.

Otherwise, agreed, swapping wheels are tires on a truck that's already properly aligned would not require an alignment.
x2
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #11

Thanks fellas
My dealership isn't all that bad and we have some history but its nice to go in informed anyways
Good old tacomaworld