Notices

Rims with backspace

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
doctor brevic is on a distinguished road
Name: Adolf
doctor brevic's Tacoma Gallery
Question Rims with backspace

I am the proud owner of a 2011 tacoma sinlge cab 2.7L which unlike many other trucks has never dissapointed me on my winter time journey to my rural home. Of course because of the ridiculous location of my home the very first thing I bought after leaving the lot was a pair of excrutiatingly serious tire chains. Now, anyone who knows they're snow, ice, or clay based off-roading knows that the chains are best put on the front tires. The only problem is, come to find out, that I dont have a gnats a** of backspace for them in front, only in back. They worked out pretty ok but somewhere along the lines I have come to miss my ability to steer. Hmmm... How about that? well, bottom line is that a good friend of mine alerted me to a concept that I had forgotten about, rims in which the lugs set in a little deeper so that the tires would be pushed out slightly farther, I only need an extra inch and a half over factory to feel comfortable. Does anyone know of some nice looking rims that can hold up under stress as good as or better than the factory rims?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor brevic View Post
I am the proud owner of a 2011 tacoma sinlge cab 2.7L which unlike many other trucks has never dissapointed me on my winter time journey to my rural home. Of course because of the ridiculous location of my home the very first thing I bought after leaving the lot was a pair of excrutiatingly serious tire chains. Now, anyone who knows they're snow, ice, or clay based off-roading knows that the chains are best put on the front tires. The only problem is, come to find out, that I dont have a gnats a** of backspace for them in front, only in back. They worked out pretty ok but somewhere along the lines I have come to miss my ability to steer. Hmmm... How about that? well, bottom line is that a good friend of mine alerted me to a concept that I had forgotten about, rims in which the lugs set in a little deeper so that the tires would be pushed out slightly farther, I only need an extra inch and a half over factory to feel comfortable. Does anyone know of some nice looking rims that can hold up under stress as good as or better than the factory rims?
I really have no idea what you are trying to ask here. It's apparent that you don't know what the word backspacing means, so I can't track what you are getting at here.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
lil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant future

Name: Jacen
lil J's Tacoma Gallery
I think you're confusing backspacing with offset. A simple fix would be to get some spidertrax spacers. Lots of members use them and give them good reviews. I think they're like 100 bucks a pair.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
if you just throw 1.5 spacers on the front you may run into rubbing issues. not sure on the 5 lugs tho.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
doctor brevic is on a distinguished road
Name: Adolf
doctor brevic's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I may have confused the word backspace for another word, sorry about that. What is mean is that the wheel would set further away from the center of the vehicle