Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Hi! I'm new... and have a question about these wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
pumasnack is on a distinguished road
pumasnack's Tacoma Gallery
Hi! I'm new... and have a question about these wheels

I am a couple days from acquiring a Red 06' Sport DC. It has some of those Helo wheels on it and I am NOT much for chrome, so they're coming off.

I LOVE the American Racing Mojave's, but wasn't aware they had an optional bead lock? Can someone elaborate on this post?

My truck has a camburg 3" lift, and I am wondering if the 16x8 will do ok as well.. I've been searching like a crazywoman and finally just said, ill just ask

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...tml#post114395
Old 12-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
no american racing wheels will have an actual bead lock. Bead locks are not street legal as they actually bolt your tire to the rim so to speak. Very good for offroading as you can air your tires down to about nothing and still not pop a bead. hence the name bead locks.

American racing wheels are street wheels that may come with a peiece that is supposed to immitate the appearance of a beadlock, but actually provides no locking of the beads whatsoever.

In other words.. Dont get the fake bead locks, go real or go for some nice looking wheels
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
no american racing wheels will have an actual bead lock. Bead locks are not street legal as they actually bolt your tire to the rim so to speak. Very good for offroading as you can air your tires down to about nothing and still not pop a bead. hence the name bead locks.

American racing wheels are street wheels that may come with a peiece that is supposed to immitate the appearance of a beadlock, but actually provides no locking of the beads whatsoever.

In other words.. Dont get the fake bead locks, go real or go for some nice looking wheels
Excellent! Thanks for the info.

I am still trying to figure out if I can fit the 16's over the TRD caliper on the Sport. Hours of searching still yields an unsure answer. Any idea?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumasnack View Post
I am a couple days from acquiring a Red 06' Sport DC. It has some of those Helo wheels on it and I am NOT much for chrome, so they're coming off.

I LOVE the American Racing Mojave's, but wasn't aware they had an optional bead lock? Can someone elaborate on this post?

My truck has a camburg 3" lift, and I am wondering if the 16x8 will do ok as well.. I've been searching like a crazywoman and finally just said, ill just ask

I have no clue but welcome to TacomaWorld!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
I have no clue but welcome to TacomaWorld!
lol thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw!!!

are you wanting to drop from a 17inch wheel to a 16 inch?? if so.........i know some 16 inch wheels will fit, but iirc.......some were having trouble at one point getting the mojaves to fit without rubbing on the caliper...............i just dont remember if it was the 16's or the 17's..........im thinking it was the 16's tho. as a fix..........some were grinding the calipers to get the wheel to fit. hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
welcome to tw!!!

are you wanting to drop from a 17inch wheel to a 16 inch?? if so.........i know some 16 inch wheels will fit, but iirc.......some were having trouble at one point getting the mojaves to fit without rubbing on the caliper...............i just dont remember if it was the 16's or the 17's..........im thinking it was the 16's tho. as a fix..........some were grinding the calipers to get the wheel to fit. hope this helps a bit.
Yeah, I was looking to go down to the 16's as the tires are less $$ and the load rating is better as well. I could do the 17's as a just incase measure.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Quote:
Bead locks are not street legal as they actually bolt your tire to the rim so to speak.
Why are they illegal? I would think they would be safer than regular tires
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I was looking to go down to the 16's as the tires are less $$ and the load rating is better as well. I could do the 17's as a just incase measure.

Thanks
I went with these in 17x9's instead of the Mohaves because of possible caliper rubbing and didnt want to take any chances. Pic b4 the TSB
Attached Thumbnails
Hi! I'm new... and have a question about these wheels-8069s.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post

you would think it would be safer, which they might be, but DOT never approved them.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Of YOU and your Truck...
Quote:

Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
+1 Pics are encouraged here. Welcome to TW.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I bought a set of Weld Method 17" forged, powder coated, from these guys. Practically stole them! E-mail them with any questions. They are pretty quick on email but on the phone might take a while to get hold of somebody. I gave $664 shipped to my door. At these prices they are very busy!
www.rimzoneonline.com

My wheels:

Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bead locks are not street legal as they actually bolt your tire to the rim so to speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Quote:
you would think it would be safer, which they might be, but DOT never approved them.
thats not necessarily true

SOME beadlocked wheels are not DOT approved...but that doesnt mean ALL of them are not allowed

I'd like to introduce to you Centerline I.C.E Beadlocks...fully DOT approved
http://centerlinewheels.com/wheels_d...d=33&sw_id=390

expect to pay dearly for them tho
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
When I get my truck, I might consider the pic... but I don't see pics of you guys and your trucks?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #17
basktaco is just really nicebasktaco is just really nicebasktaco is just really nicebasktaco is just really nice

basktaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you are planning on selling those helos you should let me know.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When I get my truck, I might consider the pic... but I don't see pics of you guys and your trucks?

most of us have our pictures plastered all over this site...and i know my truck is a picture whore herself
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by basktaco View Post
If you are planning on selling those helos you should let me know.
I will definitely keep you in the loop.