Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Black FJ Trail Team wheels (yet another thread!)

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
>:3
Sawyercomesclean is on a distinguished road

Name: Zell
Sawyercomesclean's Tacoma Gallery
Black FJ Trail Team wheels (yet another thread!)

Lots of these threads about the FJ wheels have been popping up lately but I felt like sharing mine. They've been on the taco for a couple weeks now. I'm just really bad about taking pics quickly. Take a look!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
nice. are they the real deal or the replicas?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sweet....I have the Anthracite ones.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

Replicas. Real or not though, I love they way they look!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
yesssur, no doubt
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
The "real deals" are just stock TRD FJ wheels that are silver, with a black finish applied by the wheel mfg. Here is the proof. As you see in the picture, the P/N for the silver wheel is stamped into the wheel, then after the black is applied a new P/N is added.
Attached Thumbnails
Black FJ Trail Team wheels (yet another thread!)-trd-tt-wheel-pn.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

I just picked up a set of them new from the Toyota dealer (Silver) for $620.
Figured if I want them black, I will powder coat or paint them.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Look great! How much you pay? Where'd you get them? Am thinking of silver ones, so I can perhaps paint them black later...
I got my anthracite ones from the dealer. No questions asked.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
gopedguy101 will become famous soon enoughgopedguy101 will become famous soon enough

gopedguy101's Tacoma Gallery
Just got mine and LOVE them. Sickest wheels out there.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #12

looks great
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjettech View Post
The "real deals" are just stock TRD FJ wheels that are silver, with a black finish applied by the wheel mfg. Here is the proof. As you see in the picture, the P/N for the silver wheel is stamped into the wheel, then after the black is applied a new P/N is added.
If you mean the mfr applied black coat over the existing silver coat, then you are mistaken. The original P/N is engraved in the casting mold, so it's already on the wheel before any coatings are applied.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
If you mean the mfr applied black coat over the existing silver coat, then you are mistaken. The original P/N is engraved in the casting mold, so it's already on the wheel before any coatings are applied.
Yes, I realize that.......however, the P/N you see that is part of the wheel casting is the P/N for a SILVER wheel. The other P/N is applied over the black finish and is not engraved, it is a decal.
Attached Thumbnails
Black FJ Trail Team wheels (yet another thread!)-trd-tt-wheel-pn.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #15

My point is that the SILVER wheel and the BLACK wheel is the exact same identicle wheel with exception of color
Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Look great! How much you pay? Where'd you get them? Am thinking of silver ones, so I can perhaps paint them black later...
Thanks! Got em at Earnhardt Toyota Parts' website for 250 a pop. I probably could have gotten em cheaper, but I had "truck funds" and I wanted em bad lol. Shipping wasn't fun. I probably COULD have gone to the dealers around here but my patience for them is too thin.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyercomesclean View Post
Thanks! Got em at Earnhardt Toyota Parts' website for 250 a pop. I probably could have gotten em cheaper, but I had "truck funds" and I wanted em bad lol. Shipping wasn't fun. I probably COULD have gone to the dealers around here but my patience for them is too thin.
You cant get them from Toyota without a FJ team trail VIN. I tried at several different dealers.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
gopedguy101 will become famous soon enoughgopedguy101 will become famous soon enough

gopedguy101's Tacoma Gallery
how did you get the black center caps if you PCed the silver rims?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy the black center caps online for about $10. The caps are not VIN-controlled it seems. Google PTR20-35081.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Mark350 is on a distinguished road
Mark350's Tacoma Gallery
Can you use the stock 17" sport wheel lugs and lock nuts on these wheels? I have a set of silver trd wheels that i'm going to get painted black but they didn't come with lug nuts...not sure if i'll have to buy new ones.

Thanks