Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Advice on all terrain tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
winyah is on a distinguished road
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on all terrain tires?

Ok guys see if you can help me out. In the market for a new set of tires I have the BFG M/T on my truck now and I don't want another mud terrain tire the ride sucks but I love the look. So I want to go with a all terrain tire this time that is quiet on the rode and still has the tough look. These are a few I've looked at the pro comp xtreme A/T and the good year duratrac. I like the look of these 2 tires but I don't know how they ride as they wear so any help would be great. Any ideas I'm not stuck on just these 2 but just something that looks like that.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i cant speak on the 2 you named, but i do have the Firestone Destinations.... quiet ride and a more aggressive looking tire over stock
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The Duratrac is more like a Mud/All terrain tire. People aren't getting fantastic life out of them because they are a softer compound being that they're Mountain/Snowflake rated. But they are a very good tire. Are you just after a tire for mostly street with occasional off roading, or do you want an aggressive AT? For the former, I'd suggest Michelin ATX2 or M/S. Lots of siping, excellent wear and they're quiet. Otherwise I'd go Cooper ST. Cooper is a fantastic manufacturer and their tires are some of the best out there. They make the Mickey Thompson MTZs I'm currently running and I couldn't be happier with them.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...res-tires.html
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
The Duratrac is more like a Mud/All terrain tire. People aren't getting fantastic life out of them because they are a softer compound being that they're Mountain/Snowflake rated. But they are a very good tire. Are you just after a tire for mostly street with occasional off roading, or do you want an aggressive AT? For the former, I'd suggest Michelin ATX2 or M/S. Lots of siping, excellent wear and they're quiet. Otherwise I'd go Cooper ST. Cooper is a fantastic manufacturer and their tires are some of the best out there. They make the Mickey Thompson MTZs I'm currently running and I couldn't be happier with them.
mainly for the road but the occasional off roading sometimes.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you'd then want something with good on road characteristics first and foremost.

Have a peek at the Michelin's. They're a little pricy, but you get what you pay for. I ran the M/S before, and they had phenomenal wet/dry traction.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Of the 2 you chose if go with the pro comps, unless you have snow 50% of the year.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
ok tell me if y'all know anything about the general grabber at2. They have a nice look and don't look like the would be noise like the mud terrains I have now but I don't know much about them anybody ever ran them? thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Cant go wrong with the tried and true bfg all terrains
Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Snoyota will become famous soon enoughSnoyota will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Taylor
Snoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Look into the Nitto Terra Grappler, they are more aggressive than stock and i got 60,000 miles out of mine. A little expensive but an amazing product