1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too confused to buy wheels!!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Heiko, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    Heiko

Heiko [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast of Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 Auto
    Well I've been a long time "lurker" of this site but this is my first post.

First of all, great site with lots of info and many tips/secrets for the Tacoma. Thanks for all the valuable info I've gained since finding this place.

I have a 2006 Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 with Automatic trans.

I'm trying to order some new wheels for it and will be lifting it in the spring (either 5100's or a Toytec 3" lift). Stock wheels are 16", tires are 245/75/16. My plan is to run 265/75/16 on new wheels or 285's if possible.

I've read a bunch of info about wheels on this site but can't seem to get things straight. I know people say the 16x8 wheels with 0 offset and 4.5 backspace are supposed to fit, but some makes have an issue with the brake calipers?

The only wheels I can get around here are Pro Comp, Mickey Thompson, and some Ultra Wheels. I don't have the ability to test fit so when I order they need to fit!

Can somebody please give me some examples of these wheels that are proven to fit 100% on my truck? Even the 17x8 wheels that are known to fit would also be helpfull as I can also run 265/70/17 correct?

Thanks again

2. Dec 8, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    First off welcome to TW, I am sure you will get alot of info in regards to your questions. I am running 16x8 Moto Metals on 285's, now I know that does not help you in the wheel dept, but I bet you could order.
    Have a Toytec lift, AAL, and TC UCA's. No front flaps, and very minor (less than 10 min) trimming. No issues at all with rubbing at full turns, or in flex.
    [​IMG]

3. Dec 8, 2008 at 12:36 PM
    Heiko

Heiko [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast of Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 Auto
    Thanks Longbow, I actually saw your truck and wheels while surfing this site awhile ago and they are exactly what I'm looking for.

The only thing I was unsure of was that you have TC UCA's and I didn't really want to get into buying these. Do you know if they make a difference to the fit of the wheel? Do you think the Moto Metal 955's would fit my truck without the UCA's?

What's the specs on your wheels?

4. Dec 8, 2008 at 2:18 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    They will work, the issue I had was alignment (pulling to the right). They could not get it into spec.
    I also did not like the fact of spending more, but WOW what a ride. I got them for cost at the shop I had the lift done at, the only bad part was finding a shop in the area with a good rep, so I drove and hour and a half to get to it. But well worth it.

5. Dec 9, 2008 at 2:58 PM
    Heiko

Heiko [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast of Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 Auto
    Come on guys, I'm sure there are a lot of you running Pro Comp's, Mickey Thompson's, and Ultra's on this set up. Help a guy out.

6. Dec 9, 2008 at 3:02 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Welcome to TW...Stock wheels here

7. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM
    Heiko

Heiko [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast of Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 Auto
    anybody?

8. Dec 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top