Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG KM2 vs GY MT/R

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
BFG KM2 vs GY MT/R

So I will be going with 35x12.5 R16 or R17 (I havent decided on rim type and size yet) here soon and I am debating between two differant tires. I have read reviews and surveys but I would like people's opinions so lets here it, price is not a concern for either so ignore that.

These will be my around town and offroad tires. I have a second set of BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's for my road trips and stuff like that.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/35X...n=GDY750740326

OR

BFGoodrich MT KM2
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/35-...&t_pn=BFG38371

Ok, Lets hear eveyone's opinions!!!

EDIT: Also, please post up your conditions you have used them... Rain, snow, ice, mud, type of offroad. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
You cant go wrong with either, the MTRs have more siping so depending on how wet the dark side of the moon is, you may want to go with them. I have the km2s and personally think they are garbage in ice and not too good in the rain but Im pleased with their performance overall.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, the KM2s are shitty on ice. Not impressed with snow performance either. With everything else they've been great. Good tread wear too.

I'm bumping up from 33" KM2s to 35" MT/R Kevlars soon. I'd like to see how they do, especially in ice/snow conditions. I don't know where the "dark side of the moon" is located, but if winter conditions exist there I'd lean more towards the MT/Rs if I were you. With the exception of tread wear, I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Well here is the problem... I spend 45% of my time down in the deserts of Arizona with the sand, sharp rocks, and terrain of that area. Then another 45% of my time in the Pacific Northwest with the rain, snow, mud, and wet slick rock of that place.

Because of that I need a tire that is good offroad and ok in the rain. I am not so worried to much about deep sloppy mud or deep snow. I know that there is a comprimise with MT tires in the rain/snow/ice. I have thought about having the center of the KM2's siped if I go that route!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
bump...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
i havent used my KM2's much off road, but the on road performance has been great. They are loud, but I have close to 10k miles and they still have tons of life (i would estimate 90%)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
i have no experience with KM2's, but due to a lack of siping, i'd be cautious on wet roads with them. But I have run the GY mtr's and feel that they offered an excellent balance between dd duties (even in the rain and snow, not so much on ice), and off road prowess. keep in mind the mtr's have an assymetrical design, sort of two tires in one - on the outer edges, the pattern is almost grooved, like a purpose built mud tire would be to add void spacing. the inside is a column of tightly packed tread blocks that maintain an almost continuous rib for street friendly driving.

the march issue of jp magazine did a test of almost 30 popular off road tires, and the km2's and mtr's were very evenly rated. the km2's were rated slightly higher in the sand, and the mtr's were rated slightly higher in mud. both were rated best in rock, and both were rated good in snow. the mtr's did slightly better on ice. bottom line, their scores were pretty much identical.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
I have run both on the Tacoma and the Goodyear MTR kevlar is a better tire hands down it is more versatile and the lateral stability is better in all conditions. I have run them in the desert, rock, snow, ice, mud, in the woods and down the road close to 30K on both the BFG's and MTR's.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Well here is the problem... I spend 45% of my time down in the deserts of Arizona with the sand, sharp rocks, and terrain of that area. Then another 45% of my time in the Pacific Northwest with the rain, snow, mud, and wet slick rock of that place.

Because of that I need a tire that is good offroad and ok in the rain. I am not so worried to much about deep sloppy mud or deep snow. I know that there is a comprimise with MT tires in the rain/snow/ice. I have thought about having the center of the KM2's siped if I go that route!
I destroyed my km2s by siping them, if you run them anywhere dry they will chunk like a bitch imo go with the good years
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I can't really give my opinion about KM2s in the snow because Louisiana doesn't has snow.. But I can vouch they do well in the rain and amazing off road. They never clog up with mud. Never ran goodyears before but from what I've heard they are an amazing tire.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
All those moments will be lost in time
GVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG, 2 Brigade, 82 Airborne Div Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition (RSTA) Squadron
Name: Guy
GVY's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how soon you're going to buy, there's a nationwide back-order on the KM2 until mid-march in the 285 and 305. My friend has the MT/Rs on his jeep and loves them. I've seen him get out of some nasty mud with them. Only downside is they're heavy as hell. Not much snow around my parts though so I can't help you out there.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
With those 35's your only going to be able to go straight
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rth View Post
I have run both on the Tacoma and the Goodyear MTR kevlar is a better tire hands down it is more versatile and the lateral stability is better in all conditions. I have run them in the desert, rock, snow, ice, mud, in the woods and down the road close to 30K on both the BFG's and MTR's.
Being as I have seen the stuff you have driven in and your truck is basically a model of what I am going after your opinion holds a bit of weight. I also have asked a bunch of my jeep friends in the PNW and they saw the same things and say go with the MTR's. I think thats probably the route I will go. Now I just need to trim up the fenders and other stuff and get them mounted.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
With those 35's your only going to be able to go straight
Nope, already planned out and being taken care of! Might want to look at n0rth's build as well as some others. He has one of the most bad ass rigs on here!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Bump... Anyone else have any usage info?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
There's a good thread on TTORA about the Kevlars

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123565
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
There's a good thread on TTORA about the Kevlars

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123565
Thanks...
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
ratso is on a distinguished road
ratso's Tacoma Gallery
Good year MTR

I have had a set for 4 months they are good in snow.I went up an off camber hill and my truck was the only one to stay straight. The hill was part frozen. the bfg's were sliding all over.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
Ryan87 is on a distinguished road

Ryan87's Tacoma Gallery
BFG KM2 vs GY MT/R-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340556166.773903.jpg

Just picked my km2's up yesterday to use on my daily driver. I have to drive a little over two miles everyday on a pretty jacked up dirt road, but not too fast. Originally was getting red letter grabbers, which are impossible to get right now😖
Attached Thumbnails
BFG KM2 vs GY MT/R-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340556147.274711.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread