Notices

Tire Pressure Monitor- light

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
rc2125 is on a distinguished road
Army:
rc2125's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Pressure Monitor- light

I have an 09 tacoma double cab. My spare tire does not have a metal valve stem like the rims on the truck. Does the spare not have a TPS thing in it then?

I had removed my spare tire at least a couple weeks ago. Was running the stock tires, bfg rt's @ 34psi(analog psi gauge, very accurate). Never had an issue with my TPS light coming on with the spare tire located in the basement.

Got new tires put on a couple days ago, and my light came on after leaving discount tire. Got home, and one tire was like 30 psi, the others were all about 34. I now have 35psi in each tire, and can't get the light to go off????
Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
don't know where you live

but cold temps will set off the tpm in the morning ( tire pressure low but after driving it warms up and is good for the rest of the day )
I think you have to hit the TSP reset button under the steering column. '09 might not have it though
Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Army:
rc2125's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, tried the reset thing, key in on position, hold til it flashes 3 times. Problem is, it starts flashing right when you turn the key to the on position.

-double checked all the pressures, all at 37psi, 34 was a little more wobbly than I like.
-found in the owners manual, no tps in the spare, so good there
-also read that the light would go out it I put 73psi in each tire, tps limit or something
-book said they will quit working with snow gobbed up in the wheel wells, there is some
-book said if you tint windows, it may affect transmission of radio waves to the tps ecu, haven't done that yet either

-called dealership, the girl that answered the phone said it might need reprogrammed

Will probably take it by the dealer, and see if they can fix my oblonged rotors that they didn't fix the first time.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck to you RC.

Hate to hijack the post but I have 2006 TRD sport rims and one of my TPMS sensors is bad. Can I use the one off of my spare or will it not work since it is a steel wheel. Help!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Army:
rc2125's Tacoma Gallery
Well, my TPMS light is finally out. Made a trip back to discount tire to let them check and see if all my valve stems were transmitting. Took 2 hours of vacation time to go, only to find out that they're "reader" wasn't new enough to work. Burnt another hour going to a toyota dealer to get them checked out, after they said they could do it under an hour, only to find out after I got there that they would now need 2+ hours to check them. Said piss on it, and gave up for a few days. Got an appointment for today, took the day off to take it in. They found the problem, left front valve stem was about busted off, from the new tire installed a couple weeks ago. $195 later, I went back to discount tire, 1hour round trip, with the bill, and they decided that they would claim that there wasn't enough cash around to pay me and they couldn't write a check. Told the guy that I had about $400 in lost wages wrapped up in this tire situation, because of they're installers accident with my valve stem. He pulled out his wallet, and gave me the money (he was the owner/manager I guess).
So, no more light! Checked my air pressure, cuz dealerships all seem to use the el'cheapo pop out pressure gauges, and set them all at 33psi. After several hours, I walkd by the truck and see that the left front looks low! Sure enough, lost about 4psi in about 4 hours. The outside valve stem collar was barely hand tight (holds the stem in place, and has a large black o-ring that seals on the inside of the rim). I tightened it "snug", reset to 33psi, and will see if it holds. What fun this is!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
dude, why did u get new tires so fast? I guess u didn't like the BFG? I dont like them either, but I dont have the cash for it...

so the 09 spare tire does not have the tmps? I never took it the truck to take a look at it... maybe I need to read the Manual again!

the tires, I would get next either, Bridgestone Revo, General Grabber a/t2, Toyo Open Country A/T or BFG A/T or Nitto terra Grapple.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
dude, why did u get new tires so fast? I guess u didn't like the BFG? I dont like them either, but I dont have the cash for it...

so the 09 spare tire does not have the tmps? I never took it the truck to take a look at it... maybe I need to read the Manual again!

the tires, I would get next either, Bridgestone Revo, General Grabber a/t2, Toyo Open Country A/T or BFG A/T or Nitto terra Grapple.
RTFM!!! lol no tpms in spare
Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Army:
rc2125's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
dude, why did u get new tires so fast? I guess u didn't like the BFG?...
The stock tires just didn't didn't do it for me, all around didn't like em (looks/traction/performance). Here is the broken sensor/stem, cracked where the stem meets the sensor.