Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Town Fair Tire says 16x8 wont fit!?!?!

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Konig Countersteers are 16x8 and mine fit fine.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
tundra2tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
tundra2tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
16x8 procomps fit fine. 4wheelparts and Procomp both told me they wouldn't, but so many guys here have them and said no problems so I ordered them and they fit fine. Just be sure to test fit them before you mount your tires so you can return them if necessary.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".
Jib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant future

Army: 99Z Combat Ninja
Name: Ari
Jib Bandits's Tacoma Gallery
I was at 4 wheel parts today to do some pricing, I've been planning on dropping down to 16s and was a bit hesitant as to what would fit from what I've heard and sure enough the guy told me what I wanted wouldn't fit, but they had some pro comp steelies designed especially for the large caliper toyotas. 16x8 with 3.75 backspacing, not the prettiest wheels but since I take mine off road so much that my wheels are usually covered in mud, I don't really care about pretty. Plus 3.75 BS is gnarley! So... With military discount I bought those at 70 bucks a piece. Now just waiting for my 285 KM2s to be in stock and I'll post pics and how well they fit.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib Bandits View Post
I was at 4 wheel parts today to do some pricing, I've been planning on dropping down to 16s and was a bit hesitant as to what would fit from what I've heard and sure enough the guy told me what I wanted wouldn't fit, but they had some pro comp steelies designed especially for the large caliper toyotas. 16x8 with 3.75 backspacing, not the prettiest wheels but since I take mine off road so much that my wheels are usually covered in mud, I don't really care about pretty. Plus 3.75 BS is gnarley! So... With military discount I bought those at 70 bucks a piece. Now just waiting for my 285 KM2s to be in stock and I'll post pics and how well they fit.
I hope they realize that it's not simply the BS that causes the 16s not to fit. It's the mounting to spoke depth. Can't remember exactly what it's called.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^On the vehicle side it's caliper overhang. On the wheel side, it's apparently called the X-factor....
http://www.tradeunion.com/website_brown/onepage.aspx?opaName=WHEELREPLICA-Faq14

The Konig Countersteers have a large X-factor. Notice how far the weights are to the caliper:

Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib Bandits View Post
3.75" BS is too little for the 2nd gen trucks. They will stick out too far and you will have trouble turning without some modifications to your fenders (the metal part, not the black plastic). It happened to Zombie Runner and especk.

You can also ask PSU Taco 85, he has 4.0" BS wheels and had to cut a lot more than those with 4.5"
Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #27
Jeffch is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
Jeffch's Tacoma Gallery
So if you are using a 16x8 4.5 bs and the spokes clear the caliper how much clearance is needed. I picked up a used set of wheels from CL in our area, having read the forums and doing some cross checking I bought them. I did not try them before buying but they were cheap had bfg ko's 265/75/16 so I could run them to see if they rub.
They fit minor rub on flap with new tires but only very little clearance between spoke to outward facing surface of caliper maybe .03 to .04 kinda worried me made some .06 aluminum spacers at work got some E/T lug nuts now I have about 1/8 inch clearance.
Is there a spec on what this should be or if the wheel fits use it.
Do I need the spacers?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #28
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffch View Post
So if you are using a 16x8 4.5 bs and the spokes clear the caliper how much clearance is needed. I picked up a used set of wheels from CL in our area, having read the forums and doing some cross checking I bought them. I did not try them before buying but they were cheap had bfg ko's 265/75/16 so I could run them to see if they rub.
They fit minor rub on flap with new tires but only very little clearance between spoke to outward facing surface of caliper maybe .03 to .04 kinda worried me made some .06 aluminum spacers at work got some E/T lug nuts now I have about 1/8 inch clearance.
Is there a spec on what this should be or if the wheel fits use it.
Do I need the spacers?
as long as there is space, you are fine. no need for the spacers. the outside of the calipers do not move, so no need for added clearance.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
Jeffch is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
Jeffch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
as long as there is space, you are fine. no need for the spacers. the outside of the calipers do not move, so no need for added clearance.
Thanks I was kinda worried .
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #30
Squaretail is on a distinguished road
Squaretail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
But our calipers are free floating, correct? So, when the time comes to put on new brake pads, won't the calipers move more to accommodate the new pads? Thus, they have a higher chance of rubbing the wheels!?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #31
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaretail View Post
But our calipers are free floating, correct? So, when the time comes to put on new brake pads, won't the calipers move more to accommodate the new pads? Thus, they have a higher chance of rubbing the wheels!?
no, the outside of the caliper will not move. i've already done a pad change on mine w/ wheels that were ~1/16" from the caliper body and nothing changed. the pads are pressed into the rotor from outside of the pad...if that makes any sense.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
Squaretail is on a distinguished road
Squaretail's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Im gonna order the 16x8 from 4wp and hope for the best. If they don't fit, I'm sure I can return them before I munt the tires on?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaretail View Post
Thanks guys. Im gonna order the 16x8 from 4wp and hope for the best. If they don't fit, I'm sure I can return them before I munt the tires on?
Ask them if you can test fit them.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #34
Doug2000 is on a distinguished road

Doug2000's Tacoma Gallery
So what did you buy, 16's 7089 should fit.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #35
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
I just got tired of 16 that were ordered and didn't fit. I made the right choice in a new 17 " wheel.
I was seriously ready to blow my head off
Too much trial and error for 16's

Products Discussed in this Thread