Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Town Fair Tire says 16x8 wont fit!?!?!

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Squaretail is on a distinguished road
Squaretail's Tacoma Gallery
Town Fair Tire says 16x8 wont fit!?!?!

So I just got back from Town Fair to price out some Duratracs and some new wheels.

Wheels are probably going to be the Procomp 7089 with 285/75/16 duratracs.
They said an aftermarket 16x8 wheel will not fit on a tacoma. They are not beveled out inside so they rub hardcore on the brakes. It seems like plenty of people here are running 16x8 with no wheel spacers.

I wanted to run a 16x8, 0 offset, and 4.5 backspacing. The guy then told me that offset and backspacing were the same thing.

Can someone please clarify this so I can go back there with more ammunition.

My truck: 2008 extended cab 4x4, 3 in toytec lift
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
So i just called Procomp. They said that issue with the calipers is two reasons: 1) different casting on different tacomas. 2) Free floating brake caliper: So with worn-out pads, it may fit, but def. won't fit with new brake pads.

They recommended the 17x8, 4.5" BS, and 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Good FYI for you guys wanting to run aftermarket 16" wheels. In short, you cant do it.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the wheel brand. Many 16s fit fine, but some hit the caliper.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
KTP,

Procomp says the 16x8 7089's will not fit...
Do you know if the Moto Metal 951 or KMC enduro will fit with 16x8?

Looking for a black wheel
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaretail View Post
KTP,

Yes, they will all fit, even the 7089. Plenty of people on here run them.

I'm sure you can find some folks in our2nd gen builds section running them, to confirm.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You have to do a test fit in 16's .
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You're doing the right thing asking around here. Townfair isn't the best source of information on wheel/tire info. They told me 265/70R17 wouldn't fit either. I got read the riot act on running a different tire size than what is recommended by the manufacturer... I'm not saying they're wrong, they're just a little over cautious sometimes.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wanted to run a 16x8, 0 offset, and 4.5 backspacing. The guy then told me that offset and backspacing were the same thing.

Can someone please clarify this so I can go back there with more ammunition.
Quote:
KTP,

I am running this set up. 0 off set 4.5 BS 16x8 Moto Metal 951. Everything fit just fine. Now it does seem to matter what wheel specifically. There is a thread on here where a guy bought 16x8's with the same specs and they rub the calipers. But if you want the Moto Metals I can vouch for them, I'm not running any spacers, just put them on about 3 weeks ago. I watched Discount Tire test fit them before mounting them also, which I had already done myself before I took them up there.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
My 16x8 Enduros fit...but they're close
Old 02-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
I really want to go the 16" route because its a lot cheaper, but I talked to Procomp personally and they said the 7089 would not fit. I can understand townfair saying they won't fit because they want to make more money off bigger tires, but procomp manufacturers?

Now I don't know which route to take.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Running 16x8 in enduros and 6089s
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really want to go the 16" route because its a lot cheaper, but I talked to Procomp personally and they said the 7089 would not fit. I can understand townfair saying they won't fit because they want to make more money off bigger tires, but procomp manufacturers?

Now I don't know which route to take.
Like I already said there are plenty of people running the 7089s in 16". So procomp is incorrect, probably because they are owned by 4wp.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are there conflicting specs here? 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel should equate to 4.0 backspacing, according to the diagram here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...fset-info.html

Yes, I am fully aware 4WP shows the same specs: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...n=PXA7089-6883
Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Are there conflicting specs here? 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel should equate to 4.0 backspacing, according to the diagram here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...fset-info.html

Yes, I am fully aware 4WP shows the same specs: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...n=PXA7089-6883
Backspacing and rim width are measured from slightly different spots. Backspacing is from the back edge of the wheel. Rim width is actually the distance between the bead seats. So if you go out and measure the wheels while they are on your truck, you will come up with close to 9" if your wheels are 8" wide.

The diagram shows that, but it is subtle.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
This page illustrates it better, and even has a chart to help convert offset and width to backspacing.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I had them test fit 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic Locks in Black and they seemed to fit fine up on the jack, just another black option for you if you like the style. I'm almost positive theyre 4" bs, but i'm not sure about offset, i want to say the chart read -12 but i'm no pro on that sort of thing. . . I'll be pissed if they don't fit when i go for final install. . .
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I had them test fit 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic Locks in Black and they seemed to fit fine up on the jack, just another black option for you if you like the style. I'm almost positive theyre 4" bs, but i'm not sure about offset, i want to say the chart read -12 but i'm no pro on that sort of thing. . . I'll be pissed if they don't fit when i go for final install. . .
They're a 4" BS. Same as the pro comp 6089s.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the procomp 7089's with no problems

Products Discussed in this Thread