1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels to Pair with BFG KM2 (285/75/16)?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MyNameIsLego, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Feb 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    TRD Catback exhaust, Westin Sportsman brush guard (black), Big Country tube steps (black), TRD Quick Shifter, ICON Stage 4 Lift (3")
    Hey All,
    Been on another hiatus due to work, but finally back stateside and have the Taco on my mind. Have the parts on order for an ICON Stage 4 lift (3") and I'm facing the snowball effect of:

Bigger Lift -> Bigger Tires -> New Wheels

My mind is fairly set on getting the BFG KM2 (285/75/16) and currently have the stock TRD Beadlock wheels (black w/ silver edging). My buddies say I shouldn't have any issues with rubbing...but I've read differently on trolling the posts and my buddies have been known to be wrong on a sh*t ton of topics. Three big questions:

1. (Most important): Should I keep the current wheels or pair the new tires with something else? I'm not entirely sold on black rims because they look like cheap steel wheels from 50' or more away...but anything too fancy looks like arse when put through any minor abuse. Any and all viewpoints are welcome!

2. How serious is this rubbing going to be...aka what do I need to accomplish to drive it out of my garage without any concerns on highway, offroading or otherwise?

3. This will probably screw up my whole post with opinions and side convos...but any significant issues with the KM2s, 16" wheels or pairing those KM2s with my beadlocks?

Like I said, I've been searching the forums for a good post on "just the right answer"...but it eludes me. Sometimes these questions are like herding black cats in a room with no lights...and I'm entrusting you all to cowboy up and give me some useful advice. Thank you in advance! Happy Presidents' Day.

2. Feb 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The trd simulated bead locks have 4.5" of backspacing IIRC, so you'll just have to trim some of your black plastic fender well, and possibly chop you cab mounts. Getting different wheels will not alleviate any of that, the ones you have already have the ideal specs.

3. Feb 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    The wheels you have will work perfect. I kept my TRD Beadlocks and the backspace etc is ideal for a 285's. I run the Toyo's in the same size and there is no rub at full lock, only area is the fender corners / pinch like any other wheel you might choose. If you decide to change them out, the ones you have will probably pay for the new ones.

4. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    TRD Catback exhaust, Westin Sportsman brush guard (black), Big Country tube steps (black), TRD Quick Shifter, ICON Stage 4 Lift (3")
    Did you modify your fenders at all or leave them be? Nice rig by the way...very close to what mine will look like in about 10 days.

5. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    Just a little notch by the pinch weld. Couldn't be happier with the fit

6. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    I see what you mean by that rubbing on full turn on the front wheel well. I think i will just cut it out with an exacto-knife or something. That Icon Stage 4 is SICK! Drives like a completely different vehicle.

7. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    Don't be fooled by the minor rub for now though. If you plan to really use it you will have I trim a bit more, no big still. Like anyone else that wants to run 285's and actually use it, you will need to do the cab mount chop. I have flexed mine on opposing corners enough that I tore up the rear fenders too, had to do some hacking in there too.

8. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    As long as I can cut it out, I'm not overly concerned about it. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top