Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheels to Pair with BFG KM2 (285/75/16)?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
MyNameIsLego is on a distinguished road

Name: John
MyNameIsLego's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Wheels to Pair with BFG KM2 (285/75/16)?

Hey All,
Been on another hiatus due to work, but finally back stateside and have the Taco on my mind. Have the parts on order for an ICON Stage 4 lift (3") and I'm facing the snowball effect of:

Bigger Lift -> Bigger Tires -> New Wheels

My mind is fairly set on getting the BFG KM2 (285/75/16) and currently have the stock TRD Beadlock wheels (black w/ silver edging). My buddies say I shouldn't have any issues with rubbing...but I've read differently on trolling the posts and my buddies have been known to be wrong on a sh*t ton of topics. Three big questions:

1. (Most important): Should I keep the current wheels or pair the new tires with something else? I'm not entirely sold on black rims because they look like cheap steel wheels from 50' or more away...but anything too fancy looks like arse when put through any minor abuse. Any and all viewpoints are welcome!

2. How serious is this rubbing going to be...aka what do I need to accomplish to drive it out of my garage without any concerns on highway, offroading or otherwise?

3. This will probably screw up my whole post with opinions and side convos...but any significant issues with the KM2s, 16" wheels or pairing those KM2s with my beadlocks?

Like I said, I've been searching the forums for a good post on "just the right answer"...but it eludes me. Sometimes these questions are like herding black cats in a room with no lights...and I'm entrusting you all to cowboy up and give me some useful advice. Thank you in advance! Happy Presidents' Day.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The trd simulated bead locks have 4.5" of backspacing IIRC, so you'll just have to trim some of your black plastic fender well, and possibly chop you cab mounts. Getting different wheels will not alleviate any of that, the ones you have already have the ideal specs.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
The wheels you have will work perfect. I kept my TRD Beadlocks and the backspace etc is ideal for a 285's. I run the Toyo's in the same size and there is no rub at full lock, only area is the fender corners / pinch like any other wheel you might choose. If you decide to change them out, the ones you have will probably pay for the new ones.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
The wheels you have will work perfect. I kept my TRD Beadlocks and the backspace etc is ideal for a 285's. I run the Toyo's in the same size and there is no rub at full lock, only area is the fender corners / pinch like any other wheel you might choose. If you decide to change them out, the ones you have will probably pay for the new ones.
Did you modify your fenders at all or leave them be? Nice rig by the way...very close to what mine will look like in about 10 days.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just a little notch by the pinch weld. Couldn't be happier with the fit
Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Just a little notch by the pinch weld. Couldn't be happier with the fit
I see what you mean by that rubbing on full turn on the front wheel well. I think i will just cut it out with an exacto-knife or something. That Icon Stage 4 is SICK! Drives like a completely different vehicle.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Don't be fooled by the minor rub for now though. If you plan to really use it you will have I trim a bit more, no big still. Like anyone else that wants to run 285's and actually use it, you will need to do the cab mount chop. I have flexed mine on opposing corners enough that I tore up the rear fenders too, had to do some hacking in there too.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #8

As long as I can cut it out, I'm not overly concerned about it.