Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

beadlock or no?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
beadlock or no?

Looks like the bfg's won the tire poll now what wheel? Anybody here ran the champion bead locks? I'm really wanting to use one of these. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
beadlock or no?-c1fm.jpg   beadlock or no?-133-20c1-20red.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful, most bead locks are not DOT approved. Most cops never notice, you can say they are imitation. But just a heads up most big name tire/wheel shops will not mount balance or even check tire pressure for you on them because they are not DOT approved. That being said some are not sure if those are or not.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do you need beadlocks?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Be careful, most bead locks are not DOT approved. Most cops never notice, you can say they are imitation. But just a heads up most big name tire/wheel shops will not mount balance or even check tire pressure for you on them because they are not DOT approved. That being said some are not sure if those are or not.
why?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac22 View Post
why?
From what I was told most manufacturers dont go thru the certificating process on their bead locks. Its not that they arent safe they just havent been thru the DOT certified process. And because of that most large shops will not touch the wheels for liability reasons. I have bead locks on my truck.

Also they are a pain in the ass to balance.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
why?
http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm

Imagine lock rings flying off on the freeway because some derp didn't torque the bolts down.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ooooohhhhhhh, ok thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm

Imagine lock rings flying off on the freeway because some derp didn't torque the bolts down.
Nice website
Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

does the same apply to imitation?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Banned
Quote:
does the same apply to imitation?
Nope because the rim can still function as a rim without the fake ring.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

gotcha, thanks!

for the thread jack
Old 02-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #12

OP what color is your truck?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The champion website says there are no specific dot rules regarding beadlocked wheels. They are made from approved wheels. I guess it just depends if you get a cop that wants to be a dick. Alabama doesn't have specific laws on wheels according to lift laws.com and the dot ppl that I have talked to dont have any idea what im talking about.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #14

Right its a shady area depending on who you are dealing with. But again I had isues just going to get tires installed, had to go to an offroad shop to even mount and balance my wheels cause no one else wanted to touch them because they did not yield the DOT approved stamp. Just giving a heads up you might run into that. like I said before too i have them and I love mine.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #15

whip I probably dont need them but it would be nice to be able to run 10psi if I wanted/needed to.

Tost its black.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmccray View Post
whip I probably dont need them but it would be nice to be able to run 10psi if I wanted/needed to.

Tost its black.
You don't need them. People that need them run 2 to 5 psi.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #17

I like the first ones better IMO. how much are they ea?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #18

I got a tire shop 3minutes from my house that will mount and balance whatever you bring them as long as it fit on the machine.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #19

Well thats the beauty of bead locks no machine required! you can change a tire mounted to your truck if you really wanted!

But thats good took me about 5 shops to find the one willing to do it.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #20

$309 each.....but they are well made and they look good. Probably going to end up doing a poll or just flipping a coin.