Tire Recommendations

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
rjmcmillan is on a distinguished road
rjmcmillan's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Recommendations

Hello,
Looking for some tire recommendations.

I've got a 05 Tacoma Sport SB with the OEM 265/65R17 tires on it. Coming up on the wear bars now and have never really been happy with the OEM tires. I want to keep the stock rims and tire size. Does anyone have recommendations on replacement rubber? Trying to get a nice balance of grip and quiet ride. 80% of my driving is on road.

Thanks for any insight
John
Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The BFGoodrich All Terains are awesome, a bit pricey but I think there worth it. They get awesome grip, with no road noise. I put 265/70 17's on my truck, just a bit taller than stock, no rub issues. you could also get them in the stock 265/65/17 size. If I could afford my upcoming lift and tires now I would be willing to sell you my tires for cheap but it'll be a few months till I can.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTaco View Post
The BFGoodrich All Terains are awesome, a bit pricey but I think there worth it. They get awesome grip, with no road noise. I put 265/70 17's on my truck, just a bit taller than stock, no rub issues. you could also get them in the stock 265/65/17 size. If I could afford my upcoming lift and tires now I would be willing to sell you my tires for cheap but it'll be a few months till I can.
Do you think the stock setup could allow any bigger tires then 265/70/17s?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
Do you think the stock setup could allow any bigger tires then 265/70/17s?
any bigger without different wheels, lift or new uca's and you'll start to rub the tire on the uca's. you could probably just get spacers put in and run bigger tires with a little bit of wheel well trimming. But you still wont get subtantially bigger than 265/70/17 without real work like a lift and new uca's
Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
^ Nitto Terra Grapplers in P rated 265/65/17 will give you better grip and a quiet ride, they are also cheaper than BFG's, you can get them for about $100-120/tire. I've only had them a little over a month so I can't comment on tread life, but ride quality on wet and dry is great and no road noise.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
rjmcmillan is on a distinguished road
rjmcmillan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Got it down to 2 choices now......I can hardly wait to change out of these OEM tires.

This is my 4th Tacoma and these have been the worst OEM tire I've used. I think I should have changed them out in the first year but my Scottish blood took charge.
John