1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rjmcmillan, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Dec 9, 2008 at 9:37 AM
    rjmcmillan

rjmcmillan [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Sport SB
    Hello,
    Looking for some tire recommendations.

I've got a 05 Tacoma Sport SB with the OEM 265/65R17 tires on it. Coming up on the wear bars now and have never really been happy with the OEM tires. I want to keep the stock rims and tire size. Does anyone have recommendations on replacement rubber? Trying to get a nice balance of grip and quiet ride. 80% of my driving is on road.

Thanks for any insight
    John

2. Dec 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    The BFGoodrich All Terains are awesome, a bit pricey but I think there worth it. They get awesome grip, with no road noise. I put 265/70 17's on my truck, just a bit taller than stock, no rub issues. you could also get them in the stock 265/65/17 size. If I could afford my upcoming lift and tires now I would be willing to sell you my tires for cheap but it'll be a few months till I can.

3. Dec 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    Do you think the stock setup could allow any bigger tires then 265/70/17s?

4. Dec 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    any bigger without different wheels, lift or new uca's and you'll start to rub the tire on the uca's. you could probably just get spacers put in and run bigger tires with a little bit of wheel well trimming. But you still wont get subtantially bigger than 265/70/17 without real work like a lift and new uca's

5. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
  6. Dec 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    I just got nitto terra grapplers and i love'em I wanted an MT but i do to much hwy driving. I got mine at discount tire direct off ebay $509.00 delivered

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 10, 2008 at 2:43 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    ^ Nitto Terra Grapplers in P rated 265/65/17 will give you better grip and a quiet ride, they are also cheaper than BFG's, you can get them for about $100-120/tire. I've only had them a little over a month so I can't comment on tread life, but ride quality on wet and dry is great and no road noise.

8. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:02 AM
    rjmcmillan

rjmcmillan [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Sport SB
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Got it down to 2 choices now......I can hardly wait to change out of these OEM tires.

This is my 4th Tacoma and these have been the worst OEM tire I've used. I think I should have changed them out in the first year but my Scottish blood took charge.:D
    John

Products Discussed in

To Top