Notices

Tires are Rubbing!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
CodyTxTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
CodyTxTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Tires are Rubbing!

I have a 2004 PreRunner SR5 and I just recently purchased some After market Vision Wheels with some Falken Rocky Mountain, 265/75R16's replacing my factory 16" wheels and 265/70R16's. Now my tires rub terribly on the backside/inside of the front fenders when I turn the wheels. I ordered a "Hell Bent Steel" 2 1/2" Leveling kit to install. Will this definitely solve my problem or am I wasting my time and money? Please help. My kids are embarrassed to be seen when that hurindous noise sounds off when I turn at their schools. Lol
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
May have to do some trimming if it still rubs. Although I thought you could fit bigger tires on the 1st gen than you could the 2nd gen before you'd need trimming. I have 265/75/16 on my 09 and only had a very slight rub on the mud flaps on the front which I just removed.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
lil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant future

Name: Jacen
lil J's Tacoma Gallery
should be OK after the lift
Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
My front mud flaps have already been removed. They rub on the inner back side of the front fender and I have done some trimming already. I just hope this leveling kit will fix my problem and not make it worse. It may just be me, and I'm far from being a mechanic, lol, but it seems that if I lift the front off the tires by 2 1-2", that it might make it worse. I really hope that is not the case.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
The lift will fix the problem while you are driving down the road, but as soon as your tire compresses it is going to rub again. Unless it's a drop bracket lift on a tacoma all lifting it does is use up some down travel. Which means when you hit an abnormally large curb or speed bump...off chance you take it on a dirt road then when you compress a front spring it will rub again. The easiest thing to do would just take a mini sledge and start pounding on the pinch weld, then you wont waste your money on the leveling kit which will just wear your front end out faster.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
So it will fix my problem going down the road? It doesn't rub just driving down the road, it runs when I turn to the left or the right.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
And I'm sorry, but where is the pinch weld, and what do you mean when I compress the tire? Sorry I'm a dummy with mechanics. Lol. Got any Ranching, Cowboy questions? Lol
Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
What is down travel?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the backspacing of the wheels isn't ideal if you are running that bad with only 265s
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Ok, y'all are going to have to put this in LayMans terms for me. Lol I'm a Newbie here. So is my leveling kit going to solve my problem if it is 2 1/2"? My tires did not rub with 265/70R16's but the 265/75R16's do. Only when I turn the wheels though. Yes they are new rims as well, but a 16" rim is all the same isn't it? I know the tires are a little wider, but the specs show that I can use these tires. Why am I the only guy having a problem?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I had 265/70/17 and had the same rubbing issues in the same spot, even with removing the flaps. Ended up my tires were too tall, and I went down to 65 (shorter side wall) which was recommended by Toyota. I was able to trade in my tires and not pay any compensation because I had less than 200 miles on them. I didn't want to trim or lift so that was my only choice.

I don't know lifting it off the front is going to help, I haven't experienced that.

Compressing tire means if you go over a bump or driveway, the air in the tires will compress and the tire will widen slightly at that moment of impact on the bump. Kind of like taking a long balloon and pressing down on the middle of it, the outsides will swell a bit.

With 265/70/17

With 265/65/17

Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Sounds like the backspacing of the wheels isn't ideal if you are running that bad with only 265s
^^^^^^this. take a look at your invoice..........there should be a backspace number listed, often listed as the "offset" designation, for your new wheels. sometimes prefaced as positive "+", or in my case "-12" meaning negative 12.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Lift won't help. Need smaller backspacing on your wheels
Old 02-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
spidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dom
spidy3's Tacoma Gallery
What is the backspacing on the rims? I have a 01 double cab and put the 05+ tacoma sport rims on with 265/70/17 and they rubbed my frame a little on full turn sometimes. I picked up a set of 17" FJ cruiser rims, put same tires on and no rubbing at all now. Its because the FJ rims stick out a little more than the Tacoma rims. If your new rims have more of an offset than stock then it'll put it closer to frame.... heres a good page describing it... http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/wheel-tech.html
Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Here's the kicker, I bought these Wheels and Tires off of Craigslist. They were 3 weeks old and the seller fell on hard times after he bought them, so I got them for a steal. $700.00 for the set of wheels and tires. So now I'm stuck with them I guess.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyTxTaco View Post
Here's the kicker, I bought these Wheels and Tires off of Craigslist. They were 3 weeks old and the seller fell on hard times after he bought them, so I got them for a steal. $700.00 for the set of wheels and tires. So now I'm stuck with them I guess.

There's no reason you should be rubbing with that size tire. That is basically stock size. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a lift will make much of a difference, because your tires are too close to your suspension components, and lifting things up will not push your tires out any further.

Backspacing/offset refers to where the mounting point of the wheel (where it mounts to the truck) is in reference to the center of the wheel. Example, if you have 0 offset, the mounting point of the wheel is exactly in the middle of the wheel (same distance to the front and the back). On an 8" wide wheel, a 0 offset would mean there's exactly 4" from the front of the wheel to the mounting point, and 4" from the back of the wheel to the mounting point. That would be a 4" backspacing.

Negative offset means the mounting point is moved closer to the back of the wheel, which essentially pushes the wheel further out from the truck (and further from the suspension components). Positive offset does the opposite, moving the wheel in further under the fender well.

It sounds like your new wheels have the incorrect offset. They are too close to your suspension, causing rubbing when you turn. I would recommend trying to re-sell them on craigslist. If you got such a good deal on them, you should be able to sell them for the same or more than you bought them for. Then, you can get a new set that has the correct measurements.

Here is the tacomaworld link to detailed backspacing/offset discussion:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...fset-info.html
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
Well, I went ahead and put the 2 1/2" leveling kit on my truck and I'm glad I did. There is no more rubbing plus it looks great! Just got to get the front end realigned next paycheck. They want to charge anywhere from 60 to 80 bucks for that? Is it me or is that too much?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
Banned
hamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamsterhater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
hamsterhater's Tacoma Gallery
thats what i just paid
Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
That's about par for an alignment, that's about how much I paid to get mine aligned all there times...
Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
Have a nice day
htuong95 is on a distinguished road

htuong95's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I paid $100 for a lifetime alignment. That business is going to lose some serious profit on me
Where did you go to get that deal?