Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

powder coating wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
powder coating wheels

has anyone had their wheels poder coated? im thinking about getting this done for the wheels im just thinking that when i get tires changed will it come off cause of the machine?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
has anyone had their wheels poder coated? im thinking about getting this done for the wheels im just thinking that when i get tires changed will it come off cause of the machine?
if the place who installs the tires is good, and the equipment they use is good...........the powdercoat shouldn't chip off from the tire machine..........., then again, hopefully, wherever you get the powdercoating done preps the wheels the right way and all.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
well its the same place thats doing my sliders, they sand blast it then coat it and put some kind wax or protectant on it
Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
well its the same place thats doing my sliders, they sand blast it then coat it and put some kind wax or protectant on it
you should be good to go then.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
if the place who installs the tires is good, and the equipment they use is good...........the powdercoat shouldn't chip off from the tire machine..........., then again, hopefully, wherever you get the powdercoating done preps the wheels the right way and all.
x2. plus i checked on pricing. for my chrome rims its like $250 to prep (including dismounting and remounting). and then around $350 for the powdercoat. new rims are cheaper. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
It's a MOD, MOD World
stevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to all

Army:
Name: Stevigee
stevigee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
*the coating i'm doing has a chrome look with a clear coat.. which is why i'm getting it done for about $65 a rim
What kind of wheels are you doing this too-steel or other. Be sure and post before and after pics... this sounds interesting and will look cool.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
okay will do. I'm doing them to a set of 1966 cragar ss rims that have started to rust over. Powdercoating will be a nice way of not having to do the expensive chrome treatment. It will look sweet though - more like a polished aluminum
Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
thats how i did mine i just thought it would be more durable and worthy of powder coating but no big deal
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Are you powdercoating black? How about just use a rattle can? That way you can touch them up when you scratch them. Yeah powdercoat is more durable than paint, but it will scratch and then what? You can't match it. I rattle canned my TRD wheels and they turned out great. I would go out and scratch the hell out of them on rocks and then I would just sand down the scratches and paint them again. Looked like new.
what kinda part did you use on your wheels, gloss or flat black
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
so instead of powder coating my wheels and sliders just pant them myself?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #14

im still wondering how a set of wheels with bedliner looks???? hmmmmmm...........i may have to be the guinea pig for that when it gets warm again!!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
yeah, wait till it warms up and do it outside. when i painted my wheels i stayed buzzed on fumes for atleast 4 days dad thought i was on drugs, just paint
Old 12-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:
yeah, wait till it warms up and do it outside. when i painted my wheels i stayed buzzed on fumes for atleast 4 days dad thought i was on drugs, just paint
yeah man......i wouldnt do it inside here...small condo. in a shop....maybe, as long as ventilation was good. aint doing it in the cold though....................i dont think it'll stick too good even if prepped right if its too cold outside....kinda like how paint is too.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
hey, thats my dad. j/k but really it is
Old 12-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
what grit sand paper do you use, and how do you prep for the whole painting process
Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
ok atleast we're partially on the same page to prepping stuff
Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #20
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
i never masked anything off on a black tire did try to sand and put some kind of cleaner on it before i painted