Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER TREAD LIFE? WHAT TIRES TO GET NEXT?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER TREAD LIFE? WHAT TIRES TO GET NEXT?

Hey guys,

I've had my Nitto Terra Grapplers for about 10,000 or so miles, and they are wearing out fast... I believe they had 13 mm tread new and now they are at around 7.5, which is close to almost half of the tread left. I do not offroad, all my miles are on road.

My questions for you guys are:

1.) How many miles have you guys gotten out of your Nitto Terra Grapplers?

2.) For my next tire, what should I get? I do not off road, but I like the more aggressive looking tires. Only looking for all-terrain tires that last a while.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue, I would look into the BGF all-terrain ta/ko's some people are getting well over 50k miles easy out of them.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sub.

edit. i think i can get 256/75R16 for like $120 a tire mount and balance. so like $480 ish for all 4.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I read on other forums how the TG's didn't last. Everyone on here said just the opposite. I also had some co-workers and friends tell me they didn't last also so I wound up getting Yokohama Geolander ATS. From what I've heard and read they last, just not great in the snow. I like the look of them and they were one of the cheapest tires I could find that had a good looking tread. They ride great and quiet too. I've only had them for about a month now though. Here's a close up pic if you're interested.

They look better in person imo.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
zachc113 will become famous soon enough

zachc113's Tacoma Gallery
I have had my geolanders for about 30000 miles. im an agressive driver so im expecting a shorter life out of them but id say there only just over about half way frome needing repacements.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I've heard of a lot of people getting good life out of BFG AT's, but I've read somewhere that people are complaining about them as well, saying the quality on the tire hasn't been updated and that it isn't as great as it used to be...

I have been looking into Goodyear Duratracs, the most aggressive looking AT tire that I have seen...
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i think as long as you truck is alined good and you rotate you’r tires every or every other oil change you get lot more miles out of them.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had good luck with BFG A/Ts, but I thrash them off road. I'm pretty sure I'll get 50-60k out of the Firestone Destination A/Ts I put on my wife's SUV.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
bt08231 has a spectacular aura aboutbt08231 has a spectacular aura about

bt08231's Tacoma Gallery
geolandars as well on my truck. they look so awesome in person. 4k miles with almost no wear.

Tacodawg-do the sipes in you tires pack with rocks and road gravel too? mine sure do!

excellent tire so far
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't been off road yet. Only had them about a month now. But a kid that worked at DT when I got them has them on his Dakota and he raved about how well they cleaned themselves out. His truck was muddy btw. Seeing them on his truck with a similar wheel helped sell me on these. But I don't really off road much, probably didn't need the 4x4, just love knowing its there when I need it. I would like to do some mild trails, just don't want to do anything too extreme yet.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by veet skeet View Post
Yeah I've heard of a lot of people getting good life out of BFG AT's, but I've read somewhere that people are complaining about them as well, saying the quality on the tire hasn't been updated and that it isn't as great as it used to be...
I think what they're saying is that they're EXACTLY as great as they used to be, but tire technology has moved on, so they're not always the best bang for the buck compared to some newer designs.

Still a great tire.