Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What tires are great?

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
magicbikes is on a distinguished road

magicbikes's Tacoma Gallery
What tires are great?

I'm running the stock Dunlop AT 20's 145/75x16. I live where it snows and they suck. I'm looking for suggestions from those who really love their after market tires. I want to keep close to the same size because I'm not ready to mod yet.
I'm liking the Bridgestone Revo's, Firestone Destination A/T and the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred. I don't go off road too much and do alot of highway miles.
Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same tires you have, size and truck. i upgraded to firestone destination a/t tires
Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #3

And you like them alot? The Firestone's would be cool because they have alot of factories around here.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
HighPlains's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Michelin LTX M/S. I've had many sets of these on a variety of different pickups. Always liked them a lot. I took the OEM BFG Rugged Trail tires off and replaced them with Michelin LTX AT2 tires. I like these a lot. They throw rocks pretty bad though on gravel roads. I drive many miles on dirt roads so this does not impress me too much. Other wise they are great.

LTX M/S :: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eModel=LTX+M/S

LTX AT2 :: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=LTX+A/T+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbikes View Post
I'm running the stock Dunlop AT 20's 145/75x16. I live where it snows and they suck. I'm looking for suggestions from those who really love their after market tires. I want to keep close to the same size because I'm not ready to mod yet.
I'm liking the Bridgestone Revo's, Firestone Destination A/T and the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred. I don't go off road too much and do alot of highway miles.
Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
love them take em through the field rocky roads hard ditches hold up perfect, wouldnt have another a/t tire had the BFG a/t those thing were good on my flatbeds but not on my truck. i recently switched my flatbed tires to dest. a/t great for muddy fields for duallies.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
check this out

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlains View Post
I took the OEM BFG Rugged Trail tires off and replaced them with Michelin LTX AT2 tires. I like these a lot. They throw rocks pretty bad though on gravel roads. I drive many miles on dirt roads so this does not impress me too much. Other wise they are great.
Any AT tire with an aggressive tread is going to throw a lot of rocks on gravel roads... I've had the AT2's, BFG AT/KO's, and Dueler AT Revo's and ALL of them throw rocks.

In my experience, they're all good tires with their pros and cons...

BFG's - Wore fast (40k miles), handled very well off-road and on snow, were somewhat noisy

Revo's - Nice off-road performance, and good tread life for an AT tire (55k miles), but mine wore unevenly. They were great on snow and ice in the beginning, but the handling got worse with wear (I probably squeezed one winter too many out of them). Quite noisy on pavement.

AT2's - The latest, so I don't have long term impressions of them yet. Don't seem to handle as well on slick pavement, but do handle snow well, and have performed ok off-road. Best of the three in terms of noise on pavement, none! Plus they're Michelin's, so I expect them to last.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
Yokohama Geolander AT

I have the Yokohamas and love them. I had the BF Goodrich A/T on my last truck and at 60,000 miles, they still had plenty of tread left. Until I got the Yokahama's, these were my favorite tire. The Yokahamas are not as rough a ride and not as loud as the BF's. It has been snowing in CO lately and I have had no issues with traction.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Nitto Terra Grappler $120/ea for 265/70/17's I'm sure smaller is even cheaper. Great tire for traction and no road noise.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbikes View Post
Thanks for the help!!
Go with the Revos or the
Firestones you will be happy with them
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
HighPlains's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
Any AT tire with an aggressive tread is going to throw a lot of rocks on gravel roads... I've had the AT2's, BFG AT/KO's, and Dueler AT Revo's and ALL of them throw rocks.

In my experience, they're all good tires with their pros and cons...

BFG's - Wore fast (40k miles), handled very well off-road and on snow, were somewhat noisy

Revo's - Nice off-road performance, and good tread life for an AT tire (55k miles), but mine wore unevenly. They were great on snow and ice in the beginning, but the handling got worse with wear (I probably squeezed one winter too many out of them). Quite noisy on pavement.

AT2's - The latest, so I don't have long term impressions of them yet. Don't seem to handle as well on slick pavement, but do handle snow well, and have performed ok off-road. Best of the three in terms of noise on pavement, none! Plus they're Michelin's, so I expect them to last.

The Michelin AT2's throw rocks worse than expected though. I've driven millions of miles on dirt roads with all different tires and pickups and these Michelin AT2's are exceptional in this regard. This certainly does not earn them a bad mark. I felt it was worth mentioning if I am to recommend them. We had some snow and ice yesterday here in Western KS. The AT2's handle snow and ice very well. The only place I have not had them yet is mud.
I had a set of BFG AT KO tires on a 2500HD Chevrolet a couple of years ago. They looked great, held nails well, and went like nothing I've ever seen in the mud. However, the dirt/gravel roads chewed them to pieces fast. Bald after 35K. If the stayed on pavement more, the BFG's would probably have been fine.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Consumers says the BEST all-terrain truck tire is Pirelli Scorpion ATR, next is Yokohama Geolander A/t-S, then Bridgstone Dueller A/T Revo, then Michelin LTX A/T 2. They list 14 total, which I wont do here, and BFGs didnt even make the list
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
where did that info come from?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #15

I'm going to try the Firestone's....
Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
good choice
Old 12-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
x2^
Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
where did that info come from?
the November issue of Consumer Reports titled "100 Top Products-the very best we've tested this year"
Old 12-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #19
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I liked my BFG's, on my second set

Products Discussed in this Thread