Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

The Pros and cons of wheel spacers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Ding Dang Dee
mjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
mjm540ii's Tacoma Gallery
The Pros and cons of wheel spacers

Ok, as it stands, I know little about this subject. I am starting this thread so others like me will be able to find all they need in one place. I understand that spidertrax and all pro seem to be the brands to buy. Please discuss the pros and cons along with any experiences regarding the use of wheel spacers, including success (better wheel clearance, etc.) and failures (ball joint problems, etc.). Hopefully this helps others considering wheel spacers other than myself.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI, ECGS sells Toyota spacers in different thicknesses also.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
whatever brand you choose to buy, make sure they're hub centric adapters. i have a set of allpro and my brother has a set of spidertrax, neither of us have issues. we both added them to get push out the stock Toyota wheels after our lifts. torque them properly and you should not any issues.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Just an FYI, ECGS sells Toyota spacers in different thicknesses also.
Thanks for the link! Op, I have never seen anyone on this site have an issue with spacers. I've never seen anyone on this site complain about a proper spacer
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
been running spidertrax for 3 years now. no problems and they do the job
Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
i run them for clearance. I have TRD rims with a wider tire and it was contacting the UCA. Now they have plenty of clearance.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
sixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sixsixsix's Tacoma Gallery
I have 1.5" AllPro spacers. I got the ET style lug nuts for more bite and for piece of mind. Mine are lug centric and I have TRD TT wheels mounted to them. The conical seat lug nuts will self center the spacer and wheel to the hub.
Ive had mine installed for about a year now with no issues. I use them to get a wider stance.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel spacers push the wheel out from the hub. This extra distance acts like a lever on the joints etc. You know how the longer a pry bar is the easier it is to move something? Well, now apply that to your wheels.

That's how I understand it. May not be 100% accurate. Just think of the extra leverage they cause.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Wheel spacers push the wheel out from the hub. This extra distance acts like a lever on the joints etc. You know how the longer a pry bar is the easier it is to move something? Well, now apply that to your wheels.

That's how I understand it. May not be 100% accurate. Just think of the extra leverage they cause.
Aftermarket wheels give you the same backspacing, making the effects the same. Spacers also give you more threads to tigten the wheels too as aftermarket wheels usually only leave a few threads for the lig nut.

All that being said i have run my spidertrax for 50k and a dozen wheeling trips and havent had one single problem. Needed them to keep my 35s off my camburg spindles
Old 02-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Aftermarket wheels give you the same backspacing, making the effects the same. Spacers also give you more threads to tigten the wheels too as aftermarket wheels usually only leave a few threads for the lig nut.

All that being said i have run my spidertrax for 50k and a dozen wheeling trips and havent had one single problem. Needed them to keep my 35s off my camburg spindles
nice. I'm not saying that with spacers you will have problems. You may have problems, you may not.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
GregLee98 has a spectacular aura aboutGregLee98 has a spectacular aura aboutGregLee98 has a spectacular aura about

Army: Armor and Cavalry Officer
Name: Greg
GregLee98's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, got that stuff. OP thanks for the thread.
So my tires rub barely at full lock only. I have a 3 in lift and 275/75/R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar on them. If I get 1.25 in spacers, will I get more rubbing? I don't know how if you push them out you get more rubbing, but I've heard it in threads.
Will I get more? Stock wheels for TRD Sport 17 in.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
I tried searching but could not find the answer so Ill ask here, will getting 1.25 or 1.5" spacers cause my stock size tires to rub my fenders? On a 2nd gen.

EDIT: I meant to say at stock height(no lift)