Notices

Replacing just two tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
MJTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
MJTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing just two tires

The BFG ATs on the front of my truck are good, no sidewall cracks, and have half their tread left. The backs have half their tread left also, but the sidewalls are all cracked up. Some of the cracks go all the way around and are pretty scarry looking...

Any issue with just replacing the back tires and then running tires on the back that have new tread vs. half worn on the front? New tires have about a 1/16" short of 1/2" tread depth, mine have 1/4' tread depth remaining. Could this cause an issue with the T-case when running 4x4 or is this size difference a non-issue?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No real issues except for having uneven tires. Personally I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
MJTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
MJTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I normally would not either, but I already have one new BFG AT in the right size-so I would just have to buy one more at about $210. This is compared to spending almost $900 on four new ones right now... I have access to a tire mounting tool and ballancer, so that is a non issue with cost as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
I've replaced just the rears on 2 previous trucks over the years....4x4 Ranger & a Silverado (2x4). Had no issues at all.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
replacing by the pair is fine. just keep the new pair together. the newer set should go on the rear b/c this is what keeps the car on the road.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
There is no problem replacing two tires. Normally you want the new tires on the rear.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52