1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is patching this tire safe?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jtgroce, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Thanks, they patched it from the inside and buffed it down before doing so. I watched them do everything. That's what I will be doing tomorrow :)

2. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I had a nail in a tire years ago that was right on the corner. Most places told me it couldn't be patched. I wound up taking it to a small tire shop up in town that several people told me to try. This guy fixed/patched it and assured me it was safe. He knew his sh*t I will say that. He was an older man (60's to 70's) and had ran his own business for many years. Actually had another shop try to patch it and it was flat by the time I got home. They said they couldn't fix it afterwards. I don't know if it's safe or not but I did drive on mine for a couple years when I traded the truck. Of course this was a 2wd F150 and was never wheeled either.

3. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Ryan07

Ryan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Icon Ext. Coilovers, LR UCA's, Icon AAL, Nitro 9000 Shocks, 7"Kragen HID's/Billet Grille, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bed Lights, Diff Breather Mod, D-Rings Mod, LED Interior Lighting/Plate Lights, LED 4X4 Switch, Viper Starter, AVH-P4200DVD, PAC Interface, OEM Backup Camera/Pop&lock, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps, 8000lbs Champion Winch/Winch Cradle and Quick Connect Kit, 4,500lbs Champion Winch/Front Hidden Winch Mount, OEM Painted Rims, Spidertrax 1.25, 265/70R17 BFG KO's
    Reminds me of this,
    [​IMG]
    I was Driving down the road and heard it spin up from the front tire, hit the rocker panel and it went in my back tire round end first! :eek:

4. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Oh wow thats insane!

5. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    Ryan07

Ryan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Icon Ext. Coilovers, LR UCA's, Icon AAL, Nitro 9000 Shocks, 7"Kragen HID's/Billet Grille, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bed Lights, Diff Breather Mod, D-Rings Mod, LED Interior Lighting/Plate Lights, LED 4X4 Switch, Viper Starter, AVH-P4200DVD, PAC Interface, OEM Backup Camera/Pop&lock, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps, 8000lbs Champion Winch/Winch Cradle and Quick Connect Kit, 4,500lbs Champion Winch/Front Hidden Winch Mount, OEM Painted Rims, Spidertrax 1.25, 265/70R17 BFG KO's
    Put 4 plugs in, aired up and that got me home:D

6. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    do what u gotta do man

7. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If the tire shop was willing to patch it, hang onto that receipt so you can give it to your attorney after that tire sheds the tread and rips the shit out of your fender.

Seriously... If it's in the outer rib of the tread I wouldn't mess with plugging it except in an emergency, and wouldn't even consider plugging or patching anything on or over the shoulder.

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    I had the tire shop switch my patched tire with my spare today, they did it for no charge

9. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    Well I went to the New Owner's Celebration last night at the dealership I bought my Taco from (Victory Toyota North Wilkesboro, NC) and come to find out that since I have lifetime top off's with Nitro Fill (the company that provides the nitrogen for my tires), they offer hazard protection on my tires. So nitro fill will replace my punctured tire up to $100, tire is $179. And plus I got a $25 giftcard from victory toyota to use for parts/service so I should only have to pay about $54 for the new tire! I already got it ordered and should have it replaced next week!

10. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

nice :thumbsup:

11. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    I know right? When I called the dealership before i had my local tire shop patch it, they told me they wouldn't patch it and i had to buy a brand new tire, glad i went to the new owners meeting last night

12. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    Id be really careful with that patch OP.If you came to my shop,i would have warned that it is too close to the sidewall. The patch and plug may start to lift of the tire because it is on the corner fold. When the patch is lifted,water will get in there to further weaken the belts.(we have to drill a hole for the plug,so it kinda weakens is a little) Id say get a new tire for peace of mind,and think of your family riding in the car without you,and something happens.Youd wish you didnt take the cheap way out.

13. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    You're exactly right.....that's why i switched it w/the spare tire since they were the exact tire/same size. And now i should get a new one to replace it thanks to nitro fill's hazard protection

14. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I bought road hazard protection for $30 when I got my Hankooks. I've gotten so many punctures over the years. It's inevitable.

Products Discussed in

To Top