Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Is patching this tire safe?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Is patching this tire safe?

So I've had my Taco for 6 weeks now and got home last night and noticed I had a tire leaking. Found a piece of a metal file sticking out of my left rear tire. Have OEM BFG A/T and only 2k miles on the tires. The file was stuck right below the top of the tread on the side, which I guess is considered the sidewall. I called the stealership and asked if they would patch it and they said no b/c it was in the sidewall, they suggested I buy a new BFG tire which is $179. So I called my local tire shop who I have been dealing with for 15yrs now, they said it could be patched just depends where it's at. They patched it since it was right below tread with a patch that is used for Rig truck tires, it was a pretty good size one. My question is, is this safe or should I actually get another tire? The file that was stuck in my tire was 5/8" wide, here's a picIs patching this tire safe?-100_1693.jpg
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
You'd have to have a tire shop make that call since its close to the sidewall. But look at the bright side, you got half a free file!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
But look at the bright side, you got half a free file!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgroce View Post
So I've had my Taco for 6 weeks now and got home last night and noticed I had a tire leaking. Found a piece of a metal file sticking out of my left rear tire. Have OEM BFG A/T and only 2k miles on the tires. The file was stuck right below the top of the tread on the side, which I guess is considered the sidewall. I called the stealership and asked if they would patch it and they said no b/c it was in the sidewall, they suggested I buy a new BFG tire which is $179. So I called my local tire shop who I have been dealing with for 15yrs now, they said it could be patched just depends where it's at. They patched it since it was right below tread with a patch that is used for Rig truck tires, it was a pretty good size one. My question is, is this safe or should I actually get another tire? The file that was stuck in my tire was 5/8" wide, here's a picAttachment 140411
what size is your spare, could you have that mounted on the rim and keep the patched one as the spare? For me I don't like patches lower than the tread.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
I say why risk it. Buy a new tire.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
A couple of quick questions..

Do you air down to trail ride,creating more sidewall flex against the patch ???

The "Shop" that patched it had no problem with where the hole was ????

Only other choice would be a section repair BUT only if they warranty their work....now your pricing might get you up near a new replacement...or not...beware !!!

Local guys up here have one "Shop" that does these repairs all day long;from large equipment tires to 31" truck tires....
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
what size is your spare, could you have that mounted on the rim and keep the patched one as the spare? For me I don't like patches lower than the tread.
Spare is the same size and I thought abt that but after they had already put tire back on lol
Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post

Only other choice would be a section repair BUT only if they warranty their work....now your pricing might get you up near a new replacement...or not...beware !!!

Local guys up here have one "Shop" that does these repairs all day long;from large equipment tires to 31" truck tires....
This truck is my DD and brand new, so I don't plan on taking it off road for a while
Old 03-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a picture indicating where the puncture took place and the size of it. Couldn't get a pic of the puncture b/c it's on inside of tire and I don't plan on taking it off just to take a pic[ATTACH]Is patching this tire safe?-100_1695.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Is patching this tire safe?-100_1694.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post

No they said it should be fine. They did recommend keeping it on the back though, but my only problem is I have 2yrs free oil changes @Toyota and they also rotate tires. The tire shop repairs tires from cars to farm equipment
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
I'd just buy new tire go the safe route not the expensive one
They patched it for $15, so for now that's the least expensive route
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
You'd have to have a tire shop make that call since its close to the sidewall. But look at the bright side, you got half a free file!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
TRDyota09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jabin
TRDyota09's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same tires on my 07 when I bought it.... They were brand new and I put Yokohama m/t's on at 1300 miles because the BFG's that come stock are absolute garbage. Just my opinion, but it was a great move for me
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna take it tomorrow have the tire shop switch it with the spare
Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
Agreed ^ - with just 2k of wear - swap w/the the spare and use the lame one as a spare.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
I work in a tire shop, and we don't patch anything in the side wall. We use uni-patches and go from the inside (not a plug) and you have to be able to buff the tire down on the inside and if its in the tire curve you cant make it stick right. So i would say no, just mount your spare tire on your rim and go that route if you cant get a new one right now. just my .02