Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Mickey Thompson Classic II doesn't fit my 2nd Gen

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mickey Thompson Classic II doesn't fit my 2nd Gen

I did a lot of reading on here about the Classic II's from Mickey Thompson and fitment issues. I decided to order them thinking, "how bad could it be?" Just a little caliper shaving if that. Well I got them on Friday and test fit one today(Sunday). They are nowhere close to fitting. I would have to grind way too much caliper off. So I am waiting to hear back from Summit about returning them.

Specs 16x8, 4.437 BS

Link to page:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-1268411/

Not complaining or anything, just helping provide my side of the story since I have heard both answers "Yes, they will absolutely fit", and "No, they won't fit"

Well I guess my answer to the question is NO, they will not fit.
I didn't want to go up to 17" which will work. So the search continues for an all black 16" wheel that fits the 2nd Gen that I actually like, and isn't crazy expensive.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Crap I have Mickey Thompson Classic Locks in black waiting to be put on in about a week. Dealer test fit them and they looked good to me but I didn't drive it. I'm HOPING this is an option for you and its not the case that I missed something and am therefore screwed
Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A few people have run into issues with these rims. 17 clear but 16s do not.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
KMC Enduros will fit.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
I don't get it. Chris(NJ) has a set of these on a 2008 Double Cab with no problems. I also test fit them on my 2010 last week with no problem.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its just my opinion but I don't like the look of the Enduros. The ATX Mojave looks good though...Just more money.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
Its just my opinion but I don't like the look of the Enduros. The ATX Mojave looks good though...Just more money.
I have Mojaves.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
I don't get it. Chris(NJ) has a set of these on a 2008 Double Cab with no problems. I also test fit them on my 2010 last week with no problem.
This right here is why I made my original post. Some seem to have no problem, mine didn't even come close to fitting. I don't understand why.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This right here is why I made my original post. Some seem to have no problem, mine didn't even come close to fitting. I don't understand why.
That's really odd. His were not even close to rubbing my calipers. That's why I test fit them cause I ordered a set of Vision Scorpion wheels (basically the same look) and despite the factory and the dealer telling me they would fit, they rub the caliper.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
I had MT classic II's on before my XD's. I bought the truck with the MT's and hated them. They are mot made to fit the tacoma IMO. I had horrible wheel shimmy between 40-55 mph. I think the problem lies within the center bore of the MT, it's too big, and hub centric rings would have to be custom made (I tried to find some that would work but couldn't). My experience is go with something other than MT.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #12

not really sure what the barrel is? The caliper contacts the back of the wheel where the circular cut outs are. I should have taken a pic but I was in my driveway, kneeling in snow, and pissed that they didn't fit.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not really sure what the barrel is? The caliper contacts the back of the wheel where the circular cut outs are. I should have taken a pic but I was in my driveway, kneeling in snow, and pissed that they didn't fit.
i see. if you really love the wheels, try to determine how much clearance you need and add a small spacer(not adapter type). run some ET lugs or extended studs and you should be good to go.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
i see. if you really love the wheels, try to determine how much clearance you need and add a small spacer(not adapter type). run some ET lugs or extended studs and you should be good to go.
I thought about that, but my goal is to eliminate spacers and other extras/modified components of any sort. I have spidertrax and like them a lot. Very reliable and good fit with stock wheels. I want to try to get the set-up back to stock, but with the addition of an aftermarket wheel.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
the spidertrax will push the wheels out too far. i'm talking about maybe a 1/4" spacer or so. they're cheap and less of a hassles to ship the wheels back and forth.

OR, wait for my SCS wheels to come out. hub-centric and they will fit like a glove.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #16

I hear ya. Maybe I was too vague. I wasn't comparing the spidertrax and a regular spacer, just stating that I want to clean it up a bit, no extras. Just a wheel bolted to a hub.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Alanwn09 will become famous soon enough

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT Company 1 and 11
Name: Alan
Alanwn09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Alanwn09
I have Mickey Thompson Classic II 16's on my truck, normally it wont fit because it hits the caliper but if you get them with a -22 offset they will clear fine.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
If you're still having this issue in a week I'll post up about my MTs. . . Good luck man
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
Sage is on a distinguished road

Sage's Tacoma Gallery
So i just got some summit racing rims that are 16" please tell me that these will fit my 2nd gen .. I was going to run maxtrac 4" and was told that 16" would work..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-185-6884P/

I was told these would fit by summit as well does anyone know if these will work
Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanwn09 View Post
I have Mickey Thompson Classic II 16's on my truck, normally it wont fit because it hits the caliper but if you get them with a -22 offset they will clear fine.
They will clear fine, correct. Do you have a bad wheel shimmy? I did, hated the MT's