1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wheel offset question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by blazermaniac, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    blazermaniac

blazermaniac [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Black 08 TRD off-road 6sp.
    lifted
    I want to go from stock 16x7 wheels to 17x9 or 18x9 with 33's and a 3" lift.

What things do I need to consider as far as ordering the correct backspace and offset size?

I found some wheels I like that come with either -12mm or 18mm offset. According to an online calculator, both add inner clearance (wheel to strut) and extend outside edge of the wheel. I want them to fit adequately but not stick out of the fender too much.

Any expert advice out there? I know this is a fairly common lift and tire size for these trucks, so it can't be terribly complicated, can it?

Thanks!

link to offset calculator, fyi-

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Definitely want the -12. You will still have to trim the fender wells and possibly chop your cab mounts though.

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Jib Bandits

Jib Bandits Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".

Member:
    First Name:
    Ari
    Cedar Fort, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 Access TRD Sport
    Red devil horn emblem, All-Pro Expo leafs, Fox shocks, K&N CAI, aFe throttle body spacer, Flowmaster american thunder dual exhuast, Defender roof rack, Hell Bent steel level kit, Rigid Dually LED lights, smoked halo headlights, smoked LED taillights, Cobra CB, red badge mod(+30 HP), Spider-Trax wheel spacers!
    Here's mine that I just put on a couple days ago, I was going to wait for my new suspension to come in before mounting them but got too excited so I put them on anyways with just a level kit up front! low and behold, with a little fender trimming/mud flap removal they fit fine with no rub issues, even at full turn.

The stocks were just whatever back spacing came on the TRD sport wheels and were 265/70/17
    [​IMG]

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Stock backspacing is between 5.5 and 5.25, depending on which wheel.

You should really add the width of each wheel to your photo, that plays just as much of a part in stance as backspacing does.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    Jib Bandits

Member:
    First Name:
    Ari
    Cedar Fort, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 Access TRD Sport
    Red devil horn emblem, All-Pro Expo leafs, Fox shocks, K&N CAI, aFe throttle body spacer, Flowmaster american thunder dual exhuast, Defender roof rack, Hell Bent steel level kit, Rigid Dually LED lights, smoked halo headlights, smoked LED taillights, Cobra CB, red badge mod(+30 HP), Spider-Trax wheel spacers!

I did, just in metric!

according to Relentess Taco's helpful little sticky in the top of this section (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/23715-how-understand-metric-tire-sizes.html) the stocks were about 10.43 inches wide and the BFGs are about 11.22

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
  7. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    Jib Bandits

Member:
    First Name:
    Ari
    Cedar Fort, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 Access TRD Sport
    DOH! :facepalm: totally miss-read that haha. sorry mate! not sure about stocks... but the pro comps I got are 16x8.

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Stocks are 7" except for sports which are 7.5"

Products Discussed in

To Top