Notices

wheel offset question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
blazermaniac is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
blazermaniac's Tacoma Gallery
wheel offset question

I want to go from stock 16x7 wheels to 17x9 or 18x9 with 33's and a 3" lift.

What things do I need to consider as far as ordering the correct backspace and offset size?

I found some wheels I like that come with either -12mm or 18mm offset. According to an online calculator, both add inner clearance (wheel to strut) and extend outside edge of the wheel. I want them to fit adequately but not stick out of the fender too much.

Any expert advice out there? I know this is a fairly common lift and tire size for these trucks, so it can't be terribly complicated, can it?

Thanks!

link to offset calculator, fyi-
http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely want the -12. You will still have to trim the fender wells and possibly chop your cab mounts though.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".
Jib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant future

Army: 99Z Combat Ninja
Name: Ari
Jib Bandits's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine that I just put on a couple days ago, I was going to wait for my new suspension to come in before mounting them but got too excited so I put them on anyways with just a level kit up front! low and behold, with a little fender trimming/mud flap removal they fit fine with no rub issues, even at full turn.

The stocks were just whatever back spacing came on the TRD sport wheels and were 265/70/17
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib Bandits View Post
Here's mine that I just put on a couple days ago, I was going to wait for my new suspension to come in before mounting them but got too excited so I put them on anyways with just a level kit up front! low and behold, with a little fender trimming/mud flap removal they fit fine with no rub issues, even at full turn.

The stocks were just whatever back spacing came on the TRD sport wheels and were 265/70/17
Stock backspacing is between 5.5 and 5.25, depending on which wheel.

You should really add the width of each wheel to your photo, that plays just as much of a part in stance as backspacing does.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Jib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Stock backspacing is between 5.5 and 5.25, depending on which wheel.

You should really add the width of each wheel to your photo, that plays just as much of a part in stance as backspacing does.

I did, just in metric!

according to Relentess Taco's helpful little sticky in the top of this section (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/23715-how-understand-metric-tire-sizes.html) the stocks were about 10.43 inches wide and the BFGs are about 11.22
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did, just in metric!

according to Relentess Taco's helpful little sticky in the top of this section (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/23715-how-understand-metric-tire-sizes.html) the stocks were about 10.43 inches wide and the BFGs are about 11.22
You should add the WHEEL width, not tire width.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #7

DOH! totally miss-read that haha. sorry mate! not sure about stocks... but the pro comps I got are 16x8.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
DOH! totally miss-read that haha. sorry mate! not sure about stocks... but the pro comps I got are 16x8.
Stocks are 7" except for sports which are 7.5"