Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

P rated vs. LT tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
P rated vs. LT tires

I know this is a dumb question but I dont know the answer.

I am looking at tires and I dont really know the difference between p rated tired and lt rated tires other then the price. I just want to make sure I buy what I need.

I am lifting the truck with billy's at 2.5. I dont offroad other then getting to hunting grounds, once a year at the beach and around the farm. I also occassionally tow a boat about half an hour a few times a month.

Do I need lt series tires or will p rated tires be all I need?

Thanks and once again sorry about the dumb question.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
I literally copy/paste your thread title into google "P rated vs LT tires" and this is what I got:

When it comes to selecting replacement tires for a van, pickup truck or SUV, the most important consideration is to maintain sufficient load carrying capacity.

Three tire-sizing systems are used on the Original Equipment (O.E.) tires fitted to today's light trucks, Euro-metric, P-metric ("passenger" metric) and LT-metric ("light truck" metric). Many 1/4-ton and 1/2-ton vehicles use Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires, while 3/4-ton and 1-ton vehicles use LT-metric sized tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=70

Try it sometime
Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
LT tires are heavier and stiffer vs a P rated. Personally I wouldn't get a P rated tire, P rated tires have lower ply rating compared to LT tires.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running P-rated tires on my Tacoma double cab. If you haul heavily every day, you'll probably want LT tires. LT tires have a thicker sidewall which makes them ride stiffer but also resists gashes when on trails. For most people's purposes, P-rated tires will do the trick. They're also lighter so they're better for your MPGs.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
NEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
NEAScott's Tacoma Gallery
P-rated tires are PASSENGER, LT is LIGHT TRUCK.

LT tires are going to be a tougher construction to carry the weight of a truck and it's payload.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
So it sounds like this is another one of those whatever you want kind of answers. I guess since I will be mainly drive on the highway a p series tire will be ok. As long as I dont tow that often which i dont.

If I am reading these posts right.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qckslvr2234 View Post
So it sounds like this is another one of those whatever you want kind of answers. I guess since I will be mainly drive on the highway a p series tire will be ok. As long as I dont tow that often which i dont.

If I am reading these posts right.
P rated would be fine for what you are describing
Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm running P-rated tires on my Tacoma double cab. If you haul heavily every day, you'll probably want LT tires. LT tires have a thicker sidewall which makes them ride stiffer but also resists gashes when on trails. For most people's purposes, P-rated tires will do the trick. They're also lighter so they're better for your MPGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
P rated would be fine for what you are describing
Thanks alot. My lift should be in soon so now time to get some tires.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Most LT tires are rated for capacity limits that exceed what our little Tacomas can even haul or load. LT tires are simply made for cargo and hauling vehicles. Think Bobtails, UPS trucks, Food delivery trucks, Armored vehicles.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
P stands for ...
Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
P stands for ...
Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
P stands for ...

People who are self conscience and judge other people's choice on tires just because they get would get the bigger tire to compensate for their...should we say. Short comings.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Taking off my LT Terra Grapplers for P's tomo. Bought the LT's for extra puncture resistance thinking I'd be off road all the time. Turns out I'm never off road and now my truck rides rougher than necessary. Should help my MPG's a little as well as I'm dropping 10lbs per corner
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I put a E rated bfg ko on my Tacoma and I don't even notice a difference from the Dunlop grand trek it came with other than gas milage . To me the whole e rated bs / p rate is a myth other than a gas milage drop .
Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I put a E rated bfg ko on my Tacoma and I don't even notice a difference from the Dunlop grand trek it came with other than gas milage . To me the whole e rated bs / p rate is a myth other than a gas milage drop .
My E rated LT Hankook MT's and now ATm's are definitely stiffer than the Grantreks
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My E rated LT Hankook MT's and now ATm's are definitely stiffer than the Grantreks
But can you feel the difference ? Maybe because I didn't hit corners super hard on my stock tires . I felt no difference between my stick dunlops and bfg e rated ko .
Old 03-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But can you feel the difference ? Maybe because I didn't hit corners super hard on my stock tires . I felt no difference between my stick dunlops and bfg e rated ko .
Without a doubt , the overall ride is stiffer
Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Without a doubt , the overall ride is stiffer
+1
It's the smaller abrupt bumps that you can really feel the difference on.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
So which rating is best? I have a 2nd gen reg cab and will do a little offroading. I will be using 235s to try and get mileage the same and I like the military look better.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #20

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Taking off my LT Terra Grapplers for P's tomo. Bought the LT's for extra puncture resistance thinking I'd be off road all the time. Turns out I'm never off road and now my truck rides rougher than necessary. Should help my MPG's a little as well as I'm dropping 10lbs per corner
Thats exactly what I was looking for. I am actually thinking of getting the terra grapplers as well.