Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

18" Sport Upgrade Wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
18" Sport Upgrade Wheels

I just picked up my truck a week ago and was expecting 17" alloys, but to get everything with Entune and TRD I had to get the Sport Upgrade Package that came with 18" Chrome Clad wheels. Does anyone have any experience with these.

I was gonna powdercoat the standard Sport TRD 17s but the upgrade package has a plastic feeling chrome hubcap or something like that over it. Would the proper re-finish be paint or what?

Otherwise I am going to probably replace them altogether, in which case, does anyone want some chrome look 18's. I like simple and murdered out or gunmetal on all my vehicles.

If anyone has refinished the 18s via paint or some kind of coating, or know what they look like underneath, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
jwmaynard is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
jwmaynard's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked mine up this week with the same package. It looks like we might be able pop those chrome caps off... I'm a little gun shy right now because the truck is 3 days old but I have a feeling I'll be giving it a shot soon. Either that or I'll try and find someone who wants to trade for them.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
They are plastic covers. Pull them off and take a look at the rimm

People still say murdered out?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Was thinking the same thing
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I'll trade you my 17 sports for those.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
jwmaynard is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
jwmaynard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
They are plastic covers. Pull them off and take a look at the rimm

Yes they are the same 18" rim that the 4 runner limited has on it. With a chrome cap glued/attached to it. I need to take the wheel off the truck and figure out how its attached to the rim.

My truck will not be "murdered out" though.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaynard View Post
Yes they are the same 18" rim that the 4 runner limited has on it.
4-runner has 6 double spokes.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
take off the covers and see if you like them that way...

post pics!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaynard View Post
Yes they are the same 18" rim that the 4 runner limited has on it. With a chrome cap glued/attached to it. I need to take the wheel off the truck and figure out how its attached to the rim.
More than likely they are held on by the lug nuts.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
I can't believe that toyota considers it an upgrade to have steel 18s with hubcaps as an upgrade from legit 17" alloys. I actually wanted the 17"s and didn't even notice it had the 18s until they delivered the truck, I had already signed the papers. As long as it was 4wd, gunmetal, trd, with wntune I was happy. It looks like it is just held on by the bolts. I'm not a fan of chrome... never have been, unless it's on classic cars.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
The upgrade wheels are still aluminum alloy wheels, just have the chrome cladding on them. There are already a few threads on theses. the spare is the same wheel without the chrome clad. Fyi
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Voodoochild 2k9 is on a distinguished road

Marines: VMT-6
Name: Randy
Voodoochild 2k9's Tacoma Gallery
Hello all, this is my first post to this forum. I am currently considering what to buy in my first Tacoma. I was about to pull the trigger on having the dealership order me a TRD Sport Upgrade in Spruce Mica, but came across many owners on these forums who are not liking the wheels and are getting rid of them. Is it just a cosmetic thing? I like chrome, whereas some seem not to. Or do the wheels feel/look cheap in person for some reason? I haven't actually seen these in person, just on the web. But from the pics I've seen, they look fantastic.
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #13

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
If you get an SR5 or standard sport, I'll sell you mine. I have had my truck a month and my new wheels just arrived at work, I just need someone to put them on. They look OK, but not a fan of chrome hubcaps, feel jipped by Toyota. It's half-ass to sell a wheel as an upgrade and you have to special order the truck because nobody has sport upgrade in stock, then it's a plastic hubcap. It should say 18" wheel with chrome hubcaps instead of chrome clad IMO, a lil truth in advertising.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
If your serious about getting rid of them I'm in Norcal and would be interested.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #15

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to find someone who will swap my TPMS and tires over right now. My techs probably won't wanna do it after work, especially since I had the day off, lol. If nobody will do it today at my shop I'm gonna see if my girl's shop will do it. If not, my tennant works installing tires but shes off today too. Gotta love all working car biz. I finally have a day off other than Sunday and my stuff arrives at work
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
I just picked up my truck a week ago and was expecting 17" alloys, but to get everything with Entune and TRD I had to get the Sport Upgrade Package that came with 18" Chrome Clad wheels. Does anyone have any experience with these.

I was gonna powdercoat the standard Sport TRD 17s but the upgrade package has a plastic feeling chrome hubcap or something like that over it. Would the proper re-finish be paint or what?

Otherwise I am going to probably replace them altogether, in which case, does anyone want some chrome look 18's. I like simple and murdered out or gunmetal on all my vehicles.

If anyone has refinished the 18s via paint or some kind of coating, or know what they look like underneath, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Either take the chrome cover off and paint/powdercoat them or get a set of FN BFD wheels.....they may even fit the tires you already have....
Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #17

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
Either take the chrome cover off and paint/powdercoat them or get a set of FN BFD wheels.....they may even fit the tires you already have....
I special ordered the BFDs in Gunmetal and they arrived at my work today. Preordered them because they only had flat black in stock
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
I special ordered the BFDs in Gunmetal and they arrived at my work today. Preordered them because they only had flat black in stock
Nice man my titanium silver ones got here yesterday they are so sick!!! couldn't decide between them or the gunmetal but whatever... your tires will fit by the way if you didn't know
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #19

I had aftermarket chrome on my old Mountaineer. They had plastic center caps also, so I guess I expect that and it's not much of a deterrent to me.
One thing I didn't like, though, was how close the spoke pairs were. Made it difficult to get my fingers in to clean if they had a lot of build up. Do any of you have issues getting between the spokes to clean? How wide of a gap is there?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #20

Wait, is all of the chrome a plastic cover? Not a bit of plating? That makes a huge difference! I read some other forums and it appears that way. Can someone confirm before I pull the trigger?