Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Done my research, just want confirmation

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Talking Done my research, just want confirmation

Ok, so I know how annoying all of the "will this fit" threads can be over and over, so I decided to play it smart. Before posting I did all the research, and by research, I mean browsed this forum for a couple hours.

After seeing these "wheelers" mentioned over and over again, and having recognized them from seeing them in person on a taco, I knew these were the rims for me. I have a 2010 trd sport, double cab, so I know I need the 16x8's. Now my questions is for tires. I found some t/a ko's in a 285/75r16 for a good price. Which equals a tire just under 33x11.5. On the wheelers website, they have type a for up to 11.5" tires, with a 4.5" bs. And type b for 12.5" tires, 4" bs. Now these tires being just under 11.5" should fit fine with type a, but type b should give it a wider stance, which is a look I am looking for.

Are there any disadvantages or maybe advantages by doing this (other then laws or VI's). And will this require a body mount cut, or just the regular fender trim, mudflap removal?

Thanks for being patient and for the help in advance.

- S

Edit: Forgot to mention 3/1" lift/leveling kit. No that it matters for my question, I just know someone will ask.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1GR's Tacoma Gallery
I am not concerned with rubbing on the inner fender liner, that can be trimmed. Just concerned with stance and rubbing on body mount, uca.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Toyota Dealer Technician

1GR's Tacoma Gallery
After looking through your thread, it seems like quite a hassle for that size. Don't want to do the body mount mod. Wonder if 265/75R16 with a 4" bs would be more appropriate. Remember fender and mudflap trim/removal are fine. Also keep in mind offloading in this truck won't have a lot of extreme flexing. Any input?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
255/85/16 (the other 33"s) BFG KM2s on 1st Gen TRD ORs with 4.5" BS. No trimming and still running mudflaps.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
rossivey is on a distinguished road
rossivey's Tacoma Gallery
the cab mount chop is nothing. a little work with a dremel tool and a grinder. BAMF makes some cab mount chop plates you can weld on to give it a more factory look after you chop it. Took me about an hour to do mine. i just left mine open though.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Toyota Dealer Technician

1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossivey View Post
the cab mount chop is nothing. a little work with a dremel tool and a grinder. BAMF makes some cab mount chop plates you can weld on to give it a more factory look after you chop it. Took me about an hour to do mine. i just left mine open though.
Thanks. Best info so far. 285/75R16's it is.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
rossivey is on a distinguished road
rossivey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
Thanks. Best info so far. 285/75R16's it is.
no problem. i debated about the cab mount chop until i found some decent info and then decided to go with it. Mine comes close to rubbing on the passenger side but not close enough to do the chop. i trimmed up the fenders with just the dremel tool. be sure to use a fairly tough cut off wheel or you'll just brake a bunch of them. i spray painted the cab mount black after i chopped it, by the way.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Toyota Dealer Technician

1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry. I have all of the proper professional tools. :