Notices

Another Wheel/TPMS Question...

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
wdmccall is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
wdmccall's Tacoma Gallery
Another Wheel/TPMS Question...

New guy here. I did search the forum, but I didn't see an answer to my question. Thanks in advance for any help you guys might provide. I have a 2011 tacoma with the steel wheels. Of course I am wanting to change to Toyota alloys. Part number for the wheel I am looking at is 42611-AD031. I know I will have to buy new tpms sensors for these alloy wheels. My question is, do I buy the ones specific to this wheel, or do I buy the ones for a 2011 tacoma? Will the ECU read either? Also, do you guys have any part numbers for the ones you would recommend, including the fitment kits? Again, thanks for your help...

Dale
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Gabe911 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe911 has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmccall View Post
New guy here. I did search the forum, but I didn't see an answer to my question. Thanks in advance for any help you guys might provide. I have a 2011 tacoma with the steel wheels. Of course I am wanting to change to Toyota alloys. Part number for the wheel I am looking at is 42611-AD031. I know I will have to buy new tpms sensors for these alloy wheels. My question is, do I buy the ones specific to this wheel, or do I buy the ones for a 2011 tacoma? Will the ECU read either? Also, do you guys have any part numbers for the ones you would recommend, including the fitment kits? Again, thanks for your help...

Dale
You can take the ones out of your stock wheels and re sell them without tpms's ....or you can buy new TPMS's ..probably from the place u r buying the new wheels. TPMS's are programmable once installed you will need to go to a local shop that has the equipment to program them to your truck...usually about $50 bucks. I bought my wheel and tire set up with new TPMS's from discount tire direct....took me a while to find a shop that had the right equipment...if u can keep your old ones I would recommend that...new sensors run about 60 -70 bucks a piece....hope it helps
Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
wdmccall is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
wdmccall's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe911 View Post
You can take the ones out of your stock wheels and re sell them without tpms's ....or you can buy new TPMS's ..probably from the place u r buying the new wheels. TPMS's are programmable once installed you will need to go to a local shop that has the equipment to program them to your truck...usually about $50 bucks. I bought my wheel and tire set up with new TPMS's from discount tire direct....took me a while to find a shop that had the right equipment...if u can keep your old ones I would recommend that...new sensors run about 60 -70 bucks a piece....hope it helps

I know the sensors from the steel wheels won't work with the alloy wheels. But should I be looking for sensors specific to the alloy wheel, or to the year of the truck?

Thanks,
Dale
Old 03-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Gabe911 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe911 has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmccall View Post
I know the sensors from the steel wheels won't work with the alloy wheels. But should I be looking for sensors specific to the alloy wheel, or to the year of the truck?

Thanks,
Dale

When I bought mine from discount tire...they asked me year, make and model...so go with that. I went from trd wheels to xd addicts. Try and get them from the same place u get the wheels.