* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
BADASS
60guy is on a distinguished road

Army: UH-60/C-12/RC-12 Pilot
Name: Dustin
60guy's Tacoma Gallery
BS/Offset???Confusing? I thinks so....

I'm looking at some Dick Cepek DC-2s in 17x9 for my DCSB Off-Road.

My question is how much farther will they stick out vs. the OEM TRD Off-Road wheels

TRD Off-Road Wheels:
16x7
+32 mm offset
5.25" backspacing

DC-2s:
17x9
- 12 mm offset
4.5" backspacing

I looked at the BS and Offset sticky and tried to do the math, but I'm still confused.....
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60guy View Post
I'm looking at some Dick Cepek DC-2s in 17x9 for my DCSB Off-Road.

My question is how much farther will they stick out vs. the OEM TRD Off-Road wheels

TRD Off-Road Wheels:
16x7
+32 mm offset
5.25" backspacing

DC-2s:
17x9
- 12 mm offset
4.5" backspacing

I looked at the BS and Offset sticky and tried to do the math, but I'm still confused.....
They will stick out 2.75" more than stock. 0.75 from backspacing, 2" from width
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
They will stick out 2.75" more than stock. 0.75 from backspacing, 2" from width
I think it would be more like 1.75" further than stock. The 2" wider wheel width doesn't all go to the outside, it also goes inside and sits closer to the frame and suspension.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvd2312 View Post
I think it would be more like 1.75" further than stock. The 2" wider wheel width doesn't all go to the outside, it also goes inside and sits closer to the frame and suspension.
Backspacing already takes the spacing on the inside into consideration. So all of the extra width gets added to the outside.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
kane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Backspacing already takes the spacing on the inside into consideration. So all of the extra width gets added to the outside.
^^^^
THIS is correct
Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I.e. if you add some of the width to the outside, and some to the inside, you have now changed the backspacing.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
kane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kane's Tacoma Gallery
The offset is what gives you the appearance of the "dish" of the wheel ... high neg offset will give you a "Deep Dish " look

.... of course the bs is part of this too.... large bs will not allow a high neg offset
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
BADASS

60guy's Tacoma Gallery
So it looks like 2.75"s farther. Do you think this is too much? Or will it be good to go. I want them to stick out a little more, but don't know if the 2.75" will make them stick out too far???
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So it looks like 2.75"s farther. Do you think this is too much? Or will it be good to go. I want them to stick out a little more, but don't know if the 2.75" will make them stick out too far???
What size tire do you want to run and on how much lift?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
BADASS

60guy's Tacoma Gallery
Going with 265/70R17 Hankook ATMs. I have th Eibach 1.6" springs up front w/5100s set to 0.0, and TSB springs with additional 1.5" add a leaf in the rear.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Going with 265/70R17 Hankook ATMs. I have th Eibach 1.6" springs up front w/5100s set to 0.0, and TSB springs with additional 1.5" add a leaf in the rear.
Should be good to go. Are the 265/70 ATMs approved for 9" wide wheels
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
BADASS

60guy's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they are. That is why I am going with them. Was looking at Duratracs but the are only good up to 8.5" wheels.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Play with it.

ET = Offset
Old 03-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
BADASS

60guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Play with it.

ET = Offset
Dude, that is AWESOME! According to this they new set up will stick out 1.7" more then the OEM set up, which is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

That tool should be sticked or something! And Rep points for you!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dude, that is AWESOME! According to this they new set up will stick out 1.7" more then the OEM set up, which is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

That tool should be sticked or something! And Rep points for you!
Nice tool indeed. And the discrepancy between what I told you and what it tells you for "how much more it will stick out" is that I was referring to the wheel only. Their calculator uses the tire too. Because the tire is stretched more (9" vs 7"), it will not stick out as far out from the wheel as the stock setup does from the wheel. .
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
BADASS

60guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice tool indeed. And the discrepancy between what I told you and what it tells you for "how much more it will stick out" is that I was referring to the wheel only. Their calculator uses the tire too. Because the tire is stretched more (9" vs 7"), it will not stick out as far out from the wheel as the stock setup does from the wheel. .
Yes, I noticed the difference once once the tire was added in as well. The 1.7" with the whole set up made me feel much better then the 2.75" with just the wheel.

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, I noticed the difference once once the tire was added in as well. The 1.7" with the whole set up made me feel much better then the 2.75" with just the wheel.

Thanks again!
No problem