Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Duratrac sidewalls cut too easy?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Duratrac sidewalls cut too easy?

After a minor skirmish with a rock, I basically trashed my Duratrac. I had someone else with Duratracs say they had a similar issue with minor contact. Has anyone else seen issues with the sidewalls on their Duratracs? From the look of the cut on my tire, it must have happened when I was in reverse.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a little more than minor judging by the damage to the rim as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^x2
Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Myself and another member have had problems with the duratracs...wouldnt recommend them for a rig that sees much trail use.

I had to plug the upper edge of the sidewall, which held and the other member lost two on the trail

Edit: ive seen a helluva lot more rim damage from parallel parking
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
SUPER-ER MOD
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I have a slice on a sidewall as well. Its not super deep but its enough to make me a little nervous and the tires will all be getting replaced before summer.

I'm almost certain I know exactly when and where it happened...at a meet last summer and my back end slid off some rocks. Simple mistake.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Myself and another member have had problems with the duratracs...wouldnt recommend them for a rig that sees much trail use.

I had to plug the upper edge of the sidewall, which held and the other member lost two on the trail

Edit: ive seen a helluva lot more rim damage from parallel parking
This is what I'm thinking. It was a minor scuff. That rim damage is very minor compared to the cut in the tire.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
This is what I'm thinking. It was a minor scuff. That rim damage is very minor compared to the cut in the tire.
I have much deeper gouges scrapes on my stock wheels when i was using my stock tires and didnt have anything like that happen...

I again wouldnt recommend them for any actual trail use but for city driving they look mean
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard bad reports about the Duratracs and their sidewalls. Same with the Wrangler Silent Armors. Haven't heard much about the MTR sidewalls yet.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
I've heard bad reports about the Duratracs and their sidewalls. Same with the Wrangler Silent Armors. Haven't heard much about the MTR sidewalls yet.
I hope not the mtrs have kevlar sidewalls... takes some moderate + offroading to kill them
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
They do their job real well in the trails - pretty good compromise for rocks and mud, and great ride on the highway. But the sidewall strength is certainly making me think they aren't going to last long on the rocks.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
i just got my tires not that long ago, and some of the tread has similiar smaller goudges in them, almost like its peeling. I have only gone through some mud, on a grassy section by my house (its legal, just a back alley, that was wet), so there was no rocks that should have caused that much of a goudge. Its nothing major, but kinda surprised me that something so minor could have goudged the tire
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
Texas Transplant Taco
ClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to behold

ClayCrusher's Tacoma Gallery
Not to revive a dead one...but my duratracs are also peeling away on the sidewalls...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
bolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud of
bolio's Tacoma Gallery
I have them as well and while they look great IMO and do awesome as a daily driver for an aggressive AT, their weakness is their sidewall and toughness, hence the lighter weight compared to other aggressive AT's with thicker 3 ply sidewalls like Cooper ST Maxx and BFG KO's, it's a trade off.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
TXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TXTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolio View Post
I have them as well and while they look great IMO and do awesome as a daily driver for an aggressive AT, their weakness is their sidewall and toughness, hence the lighter weight compared to other aggressive AT's with thicker 3 ply sidewalls like Cooper ST Maxx and BFG KO's, it's a trade off.
Are ya'll running the C load rating? don't they make a D or E load for the duratrac, that has a thicker sidewall? Reason I ask is, this is the tire I want to get after mine wear out.