Looking for a good all season tire

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
The Gunslinger
TacoNH has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNH has a spectacular aura about

Name: Cody
TacoNH's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a good all season tire

I've got a 2007 tacoma w/ the access cab, 4.0 6spd, amazing truck. Its sitting on stock 245/70/16s. I'm looking to replace these ASAP and was curious to any adverse effects I might experience if I put on a larger tire, like a 265/70/16. I imagine it will perform better off-road, but I spend the majority of my driving on pavement, some trails on the weekends. Also snow performance is big on my part as I'm in the white mountains and its pretty treacherous at times. What I'm looking for is an affordable tire, under $125/tire. I would even buy a nice set of used all-terrains if anyone is in my area..... I plan to get a nice set of wheels this spring, and it would be nice if I could run the new tires I buy on them, so I'm looking for an all season tire, not just a snow tire. Any suggestions guys/girls?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNH View Post
I've got a 2007 tacoma w/ the access cab, 4.0 6spd, amazing truck. Its sitting on stock 245/70/16s. I'm looking to replace these ASAP and was curious to any adverse effects I might experience if I put on a larger tire, like a 265/70/16. I imagine it will perform better off-road, but I spend the majority of my driving on pavement, some trails on the weekends. Also snow performance is big on my part as I'm in the white mountains and its pretty treacherous at times. What I'm looking for is an affordable tire, under $125/tire. I would even buy a nice set of used all-terrains if anyone is in my area..... I plan to get a nice set of wheels this spring, and it would be nice if I could run the new tires I buy on them, so I'm looking for an all season tire, not just a snow tire. Any suggestions guys/girls?
I run Goodyear Silent Armors on mine 245/75/16, its has the snow rating & this will be my second Vermont winter on them. I stayed stock size because they are narrower and usually thats an advantage in the snow so I'm told. So far 15k towing my sleds, in my landscaping business, highway trips, and fire roads. Black ice well its stay home or studs right? I did pay $125 each after rebate.

I see a lot of used 15s on craigslist due to the Toyota buybacks, but minimal 16s, but craigslist is worth a shot.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
The Gunslinger
TacoNH has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNH has a spectacular aura about

Name: Cody
TacoNH's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I checked out the silent armors online, but they were a little pricey. I'm going to go to VIP today to get an oil filter and oil and i'm going to check their deals on tires, they usually have some good buys over there.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
normaly i would say BFG AT. but recently i have read some very good things about the new General AT2 tire. supposed to be a good all around tire at a good price. i run two sets of tires/wheels and am thinking of replacing my rugged trails with them. i think the new Ivan Stewart Tundras & Tacomas come with them stock.

i see no reason a bigger tire would hurt anything...maybe your milage. or it could improve it slightly if you do a lot of highway driving?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Bridgestone A/T REVOS
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNH View Post
Thanks, I checked out the silent armors online, but they were a little pricey. I'm going to go to VIP today to get an oil filter and oil and i'm going to check their deals on tires, they usually have some good buys over there.
Yeah online was pricey, I actually ended up buying them locally less expensively. Let us know how you made out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
normaly i would say BFG AT. but recently i have read some very good things about the new General AT2 tire. supposed to be a good all around tire at a good price. i run two sets of tires/wheels and am thinking of replacing my rugged trails with them. i think the new Ivan Stewart Tundras & Tacomas come with them stock.

i see no reason a bigger tire would hurt anything...maybe your milage. or it could improve it slightly if you do a lot of highway driving?
Before I bought my tires, the local tire warehouse mgr showed me the General AT2s next to the BFG ATs and they were very comparable. He said they would give the BFGs a run for their money and were less money. Nice choice!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:12 AM   #7
titus5 will become famous soon enough
Navy: BeachMaster
titus5's Tacoma Gallery
I second the Bridgestone Dueler Revos....best tire I've ever owned. They stick like glue in the rain and handle high heat situations too. But they don't really fit into your price range.