Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Paint or powdercoat

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
tacoGrande is on a distinguished road

tacoGrande's Tacoma Gallery
Paint or powdercoat

I was thinking about painting the center of my wheels black. I have the 17" wheels that come on the TRD sport. Has anyone ventured into this territory and is wheel paint going to hold up or do the need to be powdercoated? If so what kind of paint is the best to use? Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoGrande View Post
I was thinking about painting the center of my wheels black. I have the 17" wheels that come on the TRD sport. Has anyone ventured into this territory and is wheel paint going to hold up or do the need to be powdercoated? If so what kind of paint is the best to use? Thanks
i havent done mine, but ive seen some that have been painted. if you prep it right, and use a good primer, and possibly an adhesion promoter, painting the centers should hold up pretty good. are you doing the center caps, or actually the whole center of the wheel?

powder coating will probably hold up a little longer than paint,especially if you are into wheeling. but if you dont really go offroad, you'd probably save your self some money just by painting it.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'm planning on powdercoating my rims black sometime...and i do think that the coating would be better than the painting...just IMO.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
powder coating will always be stonger and last longer than regular paint. I build motorcycles and the only reason I would not powdercoat rims or a frame would be if it was a show bike that would not see road use. Powdercoating will hold up better against washing and gravel chips etc. To have rims powdercoated is about the same price as paint.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #5

pics

Anyone have pics of painted or powdercoated 17" TRD sport wheels?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
austin is on a distinguished road
austin's Tacoma Gallery
??powder-coating??

YES YES SAME QUESTION, AND DOES IT EFFECT ANYTHING LIKE THE SENSOR (TIRE PRESSURE) AND WILL THERE BE VIBRATION ETC ? CAUSE OF THE POWDER-COATING ?????? GOOD TOPIC PEOPLE, I NEED ANSWERS....
THANKS !!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Powder coating will not affect the ride in any way and should not affect the TPS
Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
check out the gallery for brant_trd. his sport rims are paint accented. look pretty nice as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #9

I took tacomaman06's advice and used an adhesion promoter, primer, and painted my wheels cast a cast coat iron color that is actually an engine paint. I painted them a month and a half ago and have been offroad and mudding with them since and they have held up quite well. No scratches. I'm sure that powdercoating is the ideal way to go, but I am very pleased with the duribility of the paint. I posted pictures in my members photos.