Notices

D or E rated tires??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
DFDFirefighter is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
DFDFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
D or E rated tires??

I'm looking at BFG A/T 285/75/16 tires for my 06 double cab 4x4 and see that they are available in 8 ply-D rated, and 10 ply-E rated. I understand that these are load ratings and change the speed rating as well. I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the added weight of the 10 ply enough to put too much stress on my Spidertrax spacers?
2. Is the Severe Weather rating really all that much better than the M+S? It's only available on the 8 ply. I do a lot of snow driving going up to ski.
3. Any other pros/cons to consider?
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If you drive in snow a lot , get the snow rated ones , D to E is not much different
Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
With these mid-sized trucks, you really won't need anything higher than a D. I personally have load E, but that's only because I got them for an amazing price.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
With these mid-sized trucks, you really won't need anything higher than a D. I personally have load E, but that's only because I got them for an amazing price.
+1

8000lb Duramax towing a 12,000lb 5th wheel needs E.

D is going to be better gas mileage (lighter tire) and lower cost.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, man, those are good tires! Definately go with Load Range D.

1. Not really.... but it is enough weight to hurt gas mileage.
2. I'm not sure about this one... I don't have too much experience in snow.
3. In addition to the 8 ply tire being lighter, it is also better for off-roading. When you want to air down, it'll take a lot less pressure to get the 10 ply tire to start bulging at the sidewalls, where as the 8 ply can conform more to the terrain.

A Load Range E tire is way too heavy for a tacoma. You'll never even use the tire to it's full capacity. 10 ply rated tires are pretty much for 3/4 ton trucks that haul a lot and bigger (even then, I usually reccomend 8 ply for the 3/4 tons that don't haul too much.). The max. pressure on the 8 ply tire is 65 anyway... I doubt you'll ever need to fill it up that high.

My $.02.....
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDFirefighter View Post
I'm looking at BFG A/T 285/75/16 tires for my 06 double cab 4x4 and see that they are available in 8 ply-D rated, and 10 ply-E rated. I understand that these are load ratings and change the speed rating as well. I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the added weight of the 10 ply enough to put too much stress on my Spidertrax spacers?
2. Is the Severe Weather rating really all that much better than the M+S? It's only available on the 8 ply. I do a lot of snow driving going up to ski.
3. Any other pros/cons to consider?
Thanks!
Introduce yourself in the CO bs thread man!