Notices

Tire Selection Help

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
TimR is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
TimR's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Selection Help

I want to put 265/75/16 on my '09 4x4 access cab with 1.75" billstein levelling up front and TSB in back.

I am on pavement 95% of the time for commuting so gas mileage is important to me. I was going to get the BFG AT's because I heard they have slightly better MPG than the duratrac's, BUT the BFG's only come in E Load (54 lbs) vs the Duratrac's C Load (45 lbs).

Which tire would have better mileage in your opinion? Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
given the weight diffenrece/agressive tread... they'd probably be identical...the BFGs will last longer though.

Not so much that you'll notice though probably
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
between those 2 and your needs...flip a coin
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
given the weight diffenrece/agressive tread... they'd probably be identical...
I would have to agree 100%. Think about it. The stock Tacoma tires are 37 lbs. so by going with the Load C Duratracs that weigh 45 lbs, you're increasing your rolling weight by 32lbs. By going with the BFGs your increasing by 68lbs., HOWEVER the tread blocks on the Duratracs are not even like the BFGs and are more aggressive so you are also increasing your rolling resistance. In the end it may be a wash. Anyway you look at it though neither one of these tires should even be mentioned in the same sentence as MPG. If gas mileage is important to you, these are both the wrong tires for that.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
TimR is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
TimR's Tacoma Gallery
Good Point YamahaDave...I know we all want to have our cake and eat it.
I guess an "all terrain" tire that won't effect my mpg is the Rugged Fails that I have on now...
I am guessing I would lose about 1mpg moving from rugged fails to the duratrac's? Does that sound about right?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Good Point YamahaDave...I know we all want to have our cake and eat it.
I guess an "all terrain" tire that won't effect my mpg is the Rugged Fails that I have on now...
I am guessing I would lose about 1mpg moving from rugged fails to the duratrac's? Does that sound about right?
i lost 2 when i went from 245 stock dunlops to 265 duratracs, so that sounds about right