1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Michelin A/T 2

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tman12, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Dec 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM
    Tman12

Tman12 [OP] =T=

Member:
    First Name:
    Taryn
    VA
    Vehicle:
    01 Limited Double Cab 4x4
    Brush Guard, Flowmaster,Infinity 12" Sub,Vent Visors, Michelin AT2,Powder Coated stock alloy rims, yakima roof rack and bike mounts.
    Does anyone have these tires?

2. Dec 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    Spend the extra dough on BFG's worth it IMO. I have a set on my truck and love the S@#t out of them, I had a set on my wifes 98 4runner that lasted 60k, made up for not buying cheap tires by not buying a new set for so long! [​IMG]

3. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Yes

4. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am currently running on Michelin AT2's. I like them a lot. They are nice on the road, not loud at all. Balanced nice and stay there. I have not had to use them in mud yet, but they handled well in snow. I had a set of BFG T/A KO tires on my Chevrolet 2500HD. I would not recommend them. They looked great, rode nicely, held nails well, and were great in the mud. However, they were nearly bald after 35 thousand miles. The dirt/gravel roads I drive chewed them to pieces. Plus, they were not inexpensive. Usually when I check tire prices, the Michelin tires almost always cost more than the BFG's. This is true on tirerack.com as of this writing. In my experience, the premium for the Michelin tires is worth it. They have outlasted the BFG's I have run by significant margins. If though, the BFG's were to be kept on pavement, I'm sure they would be fine. Ask for my two cents, and I'll give you twenty.

[​IMG]

5. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    Clipper

Clipper Western Alliance: Sierra's

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    '06 Taco 4X4
    I have them and i love them. I have had the BFG at's as well and they were good, but i have been told in road tests on dry, wet and snow the Mitch at's blow the BFG's away. so far i have taken them on all three including mudd. they did great in each (check out my Pix) Not as good in mud but not bad, (thats why mudders were invented) i got mine for less then bfg at costco when they had a $80 rebate going on.

6. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    just outta curiousity why do you want these

7. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I'll say! He didn't even ask for opinions, he just asked if anyone had them. :D

8. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    What are you basing this on? Have you had both of them on your truck?

9. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:57 PM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Michelin A/T good tire
    BUT go with the bridgestone A/T revos :D
    Trust me

10. Dec 17, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    HA! I will stop when everyone agrees with.....Me!

11. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM
    Clipper

Clipper Western Alliance: Sierra's

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    '06 Taco 4X4

im curious. Ive heard a lot of people rave about the revos. What makes them so good. is it the cost or their ability off road?

12. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:24 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I don't think they're any different cost-wise.The Revo's are better than AT2's offroad, but the AT2's ride better on pavement, and are less noisy. The Revos are better than the AT2's on snow and ice, at least until they wear a little, though the Revos are supposed to retain their handling characteristics as they wear... far from my experience. As far as I know, the Revos are good for 50k miles. I haven't seen anything on the AT2's, but I bet they get comparable or even better treadlife.

13. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
  14. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:52 AM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    I had been looking at the Mich. AT2's myself but think I am leaning towards the firestone destination a/t's now. I have had the destination le before and went alot of miles on them in rough conditions. All depends on your personal preference and how much you have to spend.

15. Dec 18, 2008 at 6:10 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Just curious, how much did the destinations cost you? I got my AT2's at Costco for $630 installed and out the door when they were offering $80 off a set of four Michelin tires.

16. Dec 18, 2008 at 6:12 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    my dest a/t installed were 518 installed not at costco

17. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    ofrd4fun

ofrd4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4
    FJ Cruiser wheels, air bags, 5100's @1.75, TC UCA's, bi-xenon HID's
    I had BFG AT KO's for about 50 000km and did they ever get noisy long before they were worn out. Have the AT 2's and love them although I only have about 3000 km on them. We finally have some snow on the ground, about 4" with more on the way, and so far they offer far more traction than the BFG's ever did.
    I bought them in Oregon from Discount Tire and they were more than the BFG AT's. 265/70/17.

18. Dec 20, 2008 at 5:38 AM
    northlite

northlite Active Member

Member:
    Cape Cod/Northern Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    05 Acc. TRD OR Black Beauty
    According to the objective tests in Consumer Reports, the Destination AT's are the best in snow and on ice of any of the all-season light truck/SUV tires(CR feels that these tires are all season, even though they say AT). Of the All Terrain tires, the Michies are rated fifth or sixth best, but far and away the best on ice and snow.

So my conclusion is that if you do a lot of ice and snow driving, get the Michies. If not, get something else, like the Revos or Grapplers.

19. Dec 20, 2008 at 5:55 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I don't have any experience with the Michelin AT2s, but I had very good luck with the Michelin LTX M/S on my Suburban. I will agree that the Firestone Destination ATs are very good on snow and ice. That is what I am sporting now with ~ 40,000 miles on them. However, if you are getting a good deal on the AT2s, I bet they will be a great tire for all-season and winter driving.

20. Dec 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM
    Tman12

Tman12 [OP] =T=

Member:
    First Name:
    Taryn
    VA
    Vehicle:
    01 Limited Double Cab 4x4
    Brush Guard, Flowmaster,Infinity 12" Sub,Vent Visors, Michelin AT2,Powder Coated stock alloy rims, yakima roof rack and bike mounts.
    Thanks for the good info guys. I think ill go with them, i need somthing that will last and these seem to do the job!

Products Discussed in

To Top