Notices

All terrain tire....

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
perchie15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
perchie15's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb All terrain tire....

So im looking for set of tires not to sure yet on what i want but i travel mainly on highway, but would like some traction in the mud/snow, anyone know of any good tires that will do the job good?? thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
iForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to all
iForceTUNDRA's Tacoma Gallery
BFG AT KO's
Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iForceTUNDRA View Post
BFG AT KO's
Scratch that. Firestone Destination A/T.

Also, try the search. About a thousand threads on the subject.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iForceTUNDRA View Post
BFG AT KO's
KO???
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie15 View Post
So im looking for set of tires not to sure yet on what i want but i travel mainly on highway, but would like some traction in the mud/snow, anyone know of any good tires that will do the job good?? thanks in advance
Duratracs are the BEST snow A/T tire on the market (fact not opinion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
OP, u know these are all gunna be "subjective" reccommendations based on what we run and have become loyal to for the most part right?
Not me... I ran Goodyear for the past 10 years and now got me some brand new BFG's ready to go on
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
and its alright to run LT tires instead of P isnt it?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 55k on my atz's. They've been great to me. Looks like i can get another 10k out of them.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
well there isnt many different tires with the P is there? not that ive found anyways?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
2011whitetaco is on a distinguished road
2011whitetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs for sure. I've had them on my last 3 trucks and they haven't let me down ever! Strong tire, excellent traction, slightly noisy but its better if you keep some extra pressure in them on the highway. GREAT value as they last MUCH longer if you use them on the highway versus others.

I put 245/74 R16 LTs on mine. Stock size so they are great for highway!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
Toyotaguy is a jewel in the roughToyotaguy is a jewel in the roughToyotaguy is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Toyotaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I have had BFGs on a couple of trucks. The BFGs are good on dry, ok in rain, ok in sand/mud but terrible in the snow. They hold the snow in the tread and when you go to brake the truck ends up sliding like its on ice. Last snow I almost slide into a guardrail. I went out that afternoon and put Firestones Destination AT on. They were rated better then the Yokohama Geolanders (which I had on my 92 Tacoma and liked) I was thinking about and so far really like them. Although we have not had anymore snow and have not been in the mud, can tell you the are great dry/rain and liked how they performed in the sand. Good luck
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
112 and 121 load index whats that mean? whats better?, im looking at the duratrac tire and wow fricken $300 a tire :S
Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
ok then.. so anything else besides duratrac? cause they wont fit on my 17"x9 Wheel.. ugggh!!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
captain.cardinal1 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: staff sgt
Name: chad
captain.cardinal1's Tacoma Gallery
General grabbers at2 Got the look of the ko's with much lower price tag. Plus 60000 mi warranty. Also really like the Michelin ltx at2. Had those on my last Tacoma. Just cost too damn much. GL
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

BFG AT KO - Good on Highway, Snow Rated, and I'll give it an A for off Road....

Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.cardinal1 View Post
General grabbers at2 Got the look of the ko's with much lower price tag. Plus 60000 mi warranty. Also really like the Michelin ltx at2. Had those on my last Tacoma. Just cost too damn much. GL
i hear fantastic things about the AT2. Many like them better than the BFGs or the Duratracs and the price is right.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...im looking at the duratrac tire and wow fricken $300 a tire :S
most of the good A/T tires are going to be in this price range. A good alternative to the BFG T/A KO is, i believe the General Grabber. Basically same tread pattern, without the BFG name.

Quote:
and its alright to run LT tires instead of P isnt it?
LT stands for Light Truck. P Stands for Passenger. They put passenger tires on from the factory because they're quieter, generally provide the best ride, they're cheaper, and usually give you the best all around tire. The down side is that they're weaker tires and dont hold up as well if you use your truck as a truck.

LT tires are fine to run on your truck. I would actually consider it a good upgrade.

Quote:
well there isnt many different tires with the P is there? not that ive found anyways?
There aren't many because theyre not really designed to go on trucks. With a big sidewall, you're going to find a lot of LT tires, and very few P tires.

With that said, you're not going to find hardly any P rated A/T tires that are worth anything.

Your best bet is going to the Toyota dealership and seeing if they will price match Tire Rack. They usually will, at least around here, and sometimes you can get them to combine discounts. I got my set of BFG A/T KO's installed at Toyota for $700, with Nitrofill as part of a promotion they had going.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
I had good success with Yokohama Geolander AT/S on my old Durango with 265/70R16s. I also ran Bridgestone Dueler Revos (the first gen) on the Durango and my older Jeep Cherokee. They were really nice but I haven't tried their replacement.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATM is a good one as well. Very quiet on the highway. I also love the BFT A/T I have on my truck now, although I get about 2 mpg less with the BFG than I did with my Hankooks