Notices

? Stupid Noob questions ?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Diggdug is on a distinguished road
Name: Doug
Diggdug's Tacoma Gallery
? Stupid Noob questions ?

Just bought an 08 Taco access cab with V6, 4x4 of course. It has 16" rims on it with road tires. I want to put 17" rims with mud tires. What is the largest size tire I can go to without any Mods or problems?

What is a prerunner?

What is my 08 called?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggdug View Post
Just bought an 08 Taco access cab with V6, 4x4 of course. It has 16" rims on it with road tires. I want to put 17" rims with mud tires. What is the largest size tire I can go to without any Mods or problems?

What is a prerunner?

What is my 08 called?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to TW!

Glad to see you join the Toyota family.

First thing see here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post4863898

16" wheels will let you have more sidewall then 17" which is preferred in offroad conditions. The tires for 16" wheels are less expensive then 17" and more tires are available for them as well. I personally just made the change from 17" to 16" for an "upgrade".

Largest tire without major issues on a stock truck is 265/70/17 or 265/75/16. Some rubbing may occur with these.

Pre-runner is a 2wd Tacoma..it has other meanings in therace community but I think thats what you wanted to know. Google it if you need to know more.

Do you have color matched mirrors/door handles/scooped hood? if you do it's a "Sport".

If you don't have the above and you have a locking rear diff it's an Offroad.

If you have non of the above it could be a SR-5.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
*claps in approval and agreeance*
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
congrats and welcome to the World.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Diggdug's Tacoma Gallery
Mines got the offroad package. I wouldn't buy one without a locking rear diff cause i hunt a lot and therefore get stuck a lot. Thanks for the info! I just thought going with the 17" rims would get me up a little higher and be better in deep snow?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mines got the offroad package. I wouldn't buy one without a locking rear diff cause i hunt a lot and therefore get stuck a lot. Thanks for the info! I just thought going with the 17" rims would get me up a little higher and be better in deep snow?
not really. it just takes up more space. . . from what youre sounding like, you don't need bigger shoes, you needs some lift
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Diggdug's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like i might as well stick to 16" wheels. I am thinking about getting a dedicated set for off road or AT tires to slap on in the fall, and run the current set during the summer months. Do you guys think its worth while paying xtra for Aluminum wheels over steel?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like i might as well stick to 16" wheels. I am thinking about getting a dedicated set for off road or AT tires to slap on in the fall, and run the current set during the summer months. Do you guys think its worth while paying xtra for Aluminum wheels over steel?

Nope. I actually just got (8) 16" steel wheels for $12.50 per wheel so I can use them as beaters and keep my 17" aluminum wheels for street use. They weigh 3# more then my aluminum 17" so not a huge difference and if I do smack a curb with them the rim bends instead of cracks like aluminum does.

Grab some steeles for your winter use and throw on some good AT's. In your location I would check out Duratracs. They are great in the snow and a good all around tire. I have had them for almost 40k now and I am still happy with them.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Diggdug's Tacoma Gallery
So are stock wheels 7"? Is it best to buy 8" for my mud tires? That is 265/75/r16 tires....
Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So are stock wheels 7"? Is it best to buy 8" for my mud tires?
depends on what stock wheel you have they are all different.

and wheel width all depends on what tire you go with...

my 255/85/16 KM2's require a 7" wheel. 8" is to wide for airing down significantly without popping a bead
Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Tires and traction assist (4WD, locking differential, traction control) will be your best method to off road and not get stuck. Lowering air pressure in tires has amazing results, too!

I recommend going to the biggest 16" tire without needing a lift... 265/75-16 (32"), which is 1" taller than the stock Off Road TRD tire (265/70-16).

If you do lift your truck a bit, then going to a 285 series tire will gain you even more ground clearance and more 'meat' under your truck for traction.