Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

--<:BORA Spacers:>-- Review & Install

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Post --<:BORA Spacers:>-- Review & Install

I received my BORA 1" spacers from Motorsport-Tech a couple days ago and installed them today. Here's my install/review.

First off, I wanted to get some hub-centric spacers to ensure my new tires (285/70R17: Goodyear MT/R originals) will clear my UCA's and provide a wider and more aggressive stance. I researched Spidertrax, All-Pro, some eBay specials, and then BORA.

I went with the BORA (Motorsport-Tech) for a few reasons:

1. They are truly hub-centric for our trucks (106 mm)
2. They came in a variety of sizes (.75"-2.00") rather than just 1.25"+ the competition offered
3. The pricing was comparable, if not less expensive, than the other companies
4. The are double-anodized in black
5. They are made in-house by the team, with all US materials
6. They will be 100% compatible with the wheels I will eventually be getting. They will be hub-centric with 4.5" back-spacing thanks to the spacers.
7. The guys there are really cool, and I told them I would give them a shot and post my review. It will give them some exposure here and hopefully lead to some exclusive TacomaWorld discounts and/or vendor opportunities.

I ordered them on 3/21 from Mark, who took the time to talk with me and answer a bunch of my questions. He was a really cool guy, and was eager to have me spread the word of their company on TW. He gave me small discount on shipping, and recommended I go with 1" rather than .75" to accommodate the new wheels I plan on getting.

Here's the only down-side...it took a month to receive them due to a few delays on their end. Their anodizer closed for Easter weekend, which delayed them a week, and then some studs they ordered were shipped to the wrong state, which delayed them another week.

They were pretty good about communicating with me, and answered anytime I called them, but I tend to get impatient and it sucks when things are repeatedly delayed. They shipped w/ 24 (+4 spare) acorn lugs, and had the 12mm, 1.5" studs installed.

Install was easy and straight-forward. Armed with only my 3/8 torque wrench, it took me about 20 minutes per tire. I used a 3/4 socket for the acorns, and a 13/16 spark-plug socket for the stock lugs (perfect fit ). I also used some 600 grit sandpaper to clean up all the mounting surfaces, and wiped them down. I torqued all the lugs down to 85 ft./lbs (I know the OEM are 83).
*EDIT: Bama TACO pointed out the wheel-to-spacer lugs should be torqued to 70 ft/lbs. as they are 12mm (not 14mm like I originally thought)

Here are some before and after pics with the stock tires.

FRONT

REAR

Here are the new tires, more pics to come soon!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a good product and especially like the black anodizing.
nice addition to your truck and nice write up
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
they are definitely a quality product. very pleased with mine as well. your trucks looking good, keep it up
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post
they are definitely a quality product. very pleased with mine as well. your trucks looking good, keep it up
Thanks buddy, it has been a pretty slow build but someday it will be complete. Very pleased with the spacers and the company, other than the shipping delays, everything was top-notch. I can't wait to get the tires mounted tomorrow, they've been sitting in my garage for a month and a half now.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
how long did it take to get yours? took mine 3 weeks.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The new tires and the spacers transformed the look of your truck. So you had them install 14mm studs instead of the 12mm? My spacers are supposed to deliver tomorrow. I'm glad to see you are happy with them. I guess it was worth the wait.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
The new tires and the spacers transformed the look of your truck. So you had them install 14mm studs instead of the 12mm? My spacers are supposed to deliver tomorrow. I'm glad to see you are happy with them. I guess it was worth the wait.
Well worth the wait . I was joking with the guys mounting my tires that "My little truck is all grown up now", I think it looks pretty badass! Not sure about the 14mm studs, that's just what they shipped with, and it's the same thread pitch as the stock studs.

I hope you get yours on there soon!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone is interested I emailed Motorsport-tech about a possible group buy, please see group buy section for details.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Well worth the wait . I was joking with the guys mounting my tires that "My little truck is all grown up now", I think it looks pretty badass! Not sure about the 14mm studs, that's just what they shipped with, and it's the same thread pitch as the stock studs.

I hope you get yours on there soon!
If you used your stock lug nuts then the studs are 12mm. Not that it matters but I thought I would let you know. I got my 3/4" spacers on today and I love the look of them. It put the tire exactly where I wanted it.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
If you used your stock lug nuts then the studs are 12mm. Not that it matters but I thought I would let you know. I got my 3/4" spacers on today and I love the look of them. It put the tire exactly where I wanted it.
Well, ain't that some shit. I thought they were 14mm, and the torque specs are closest to the OEM ft/lbs. Maybe I need to back them off a little.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
What size tires do you have? I'm worrying about rubbing. When I got my 275s on a 0 Backspace wheel I was rubbing on the front mudflaps on turns so I took them off. I would imagine if I got these spacers I would have to start trimming.

Any insights?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
Finphan is on a distinguished road
Finphan's Tacoma Gallery
Tag. Nice looking ride!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
What size tires do you have? I'm worrying about rubbing. When I got my 275s on a 0 Backspace wheel I was rubbing on the front mudflaps on turns so I took them off. I would imagine if I got these spacers I would have to start trimming.

Any insights?
I'm running Goodyear MT/Rs (originals) 285/70R17s on stock sport rims (7.5" wide with a 5.5" Backspace). With the spacers, it makes the wheels have a 4.5" Backspace.

I only experienced rubbing when going over bumps at higher speeds (10+ mph) and simultaneously turning. I ended up doing some minor trimming and have not rubbed at all since. I went off-roading in Tahuya a few weeks ago, and had the wheels pretty well stuffed, and they still the didn't rub.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
Benson, couple of questions

1. Did you have the 285/70/17's before the spacers?

2. After the spacers assuming the answer to #1 is yes, did you find you had to do more trimming after the spacers then before?

I ask because right now my 2010 Sport with Toytec Ultimate lift and stock rims is running 285/70/17 and the ONLY rub I have is at full lock out on my UCA (which are TC UCA's)

My concern is if I go with spacers I will have to trim fenders and other items that I don't have a problem with now?? Thanks fro any insight
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
Benson, couple of questions

1. Did you have the 285/70/17's before the spacers?

2. After the spacers assuming the answer to #1 is yes, did you find you had to do more trimming after the spacers then before?

I ask because right now my 2010 Sport with Toytec Ultimate lift and stock rims is running 285/70/17 and the ONLY rub I have is at full lock out on my UCA (which are TC UCA's)

My concern is if I go with spacers I will have to trim fenders and other items that I don't have a problem with now?? Thanks fro any insight
You will have to trim more because you are making the turning arc of the wheel bigger. Yes you will have to trim more, you will probably rub against the cab mount. Right now if you flex the truck off road your tire can hit the UCA when the suspension droops.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #19
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I thought, I will keep it as it is then... (Until I can go higher)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
You will have to trim more because you are making the turning arc of the wheel bigger. Yes you will have to trim more, you will probably rub against the cab mount. Right now if you flex the truck off road your tire can hit the UCA when the suspension droops.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
That's what I thought, I will keep it as it is then... (Until I can go higher)
As long as you keep it on the road there isn't really as problem. The problem comes in when the suspension droops in the front the UCA rubs the sidewall of the tire. To show you an example lift the front of your truck up on a jack and look at the clearance between your tire and UCA. Going higher just brings other problems. I have the spacers I just haven't put them on yet. I'm making a trip to the steel supplier soon so I will do my cab mount chop and weld the new steel where I chop it along with putting the spacers on at the same time.