Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire Siping near DC???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Say What?
patrickockander is on a distinguished road
Army: Served as a Combat Medic with 3rd BDE 2nd ID "Stryker Brigade", now serving as a reservist/student
Name: Patrick
patrickockander's Tacoma Gallery
Question Tire Siping near DC???

I want to sipe my tires, as I found the traction and treadlife was greatly increased.

Does anyone know of a place within 500 miles of DC that offers this service?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you cant find one, they sell the irons so you can sipe them your self.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
ldm is on a distinguished road

Air Force: C-141 Flight Engineer, Msgt.,Retired
ldm's Tacoma Gallery
Just call.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickockander View Post
I want to sipe my tires, as I found the traction and treadlife was greatly increased.

Thanks,
Pat
any of the local tire stores. I think most all of them will do it.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
ldm is on a distinguished road

Air Force: C-141 Flight Engineer, Msgt.,Retired
ldm's Tacoma Gallery
Just call.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickockander View Post

Thanks,
Pat
any of the local tire stores. I think most all of them will do it, even if they don't advertise it.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I don't know what this is. Anyone?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Lane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the rough
Lane Cypert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Same Here!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Cypert View Post
Same Here!
Not sipped:

Sipped:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping
Old 12-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
DsleePy1 is on a distinguished road
DsleePy1's Tacoma Gallery
Discount Tires offer them. Not sure if Discount Tires are in your area though. You can check their website www.tires.com

Do you know for sure siping offers better traction and treadwear? I always kind of thought of it as clever marketing.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsleePy1 View Post
Do you know for sure siping offers better traction and treadwear? I always kind of thought of it as clever marketing.
Yes. It allows the tie tread to flex better thus giveing more traction, and also sheds heat (from the flexing), keeping the tires cooler, thus makeing them last longer.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Discount Tires offer them. Not sure if Discount Tires are in your area though. You can check their website www.tires.com

Not all Discount Tires do it. The store where I bought my tires doesn't but another one about 20 miles away does. I'm sure they'd rather sell you tires that were already siped than sipe yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes. It allows the tie tread to flex better thus giveing more traction, and also sheds heat (from the flexing), keeping the tires cooler, thus makeing them last longer.
CAUTION: Science Content!

Mythbusters reference to those who don't watch it...
Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Say What?
Army: Served as a Combat Medic with 3rd BDE 2nd ID "Stryker Brigade", now serving as a reservist/student
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldm View Post
any of the local tire stores. I think most all of them will do it.

nope, they don't, as a matter of fact, most of the tire guys in this area have no idea what siping is...suprisingly...

I may have to get the iron, trying to avoid that if possible.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Say What?
Exclamation

Quote:

No discount tire store within 500 miles of DC.

Yes, I know for a fact that siping offers better traction and treadlife. I have siped all of my vehicles tires since 2003 and wouldn't have done so unless I was absolutely convinced it is worth it.

However, when offroading, one must use caution not to spin the tires too much as doing so will shorten your tire's life.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
DsleePy1 is on a distinguished road
DsleePy1's Tacoma Gallery
I will have to keep this in mind for the next set of tires.