1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old school vs new school tastes.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bubbagumps, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    What are your tastes in trims , rims, and tires?

I was wondering if any other old-timers like myself find the current trends less appealing?

I just don't understand the appeal of blacked-out rims. To me, it kind of makes the vehicle look lke a ride with the hubcaps missing. It cheapens the look of the vehicle and makes it look like something is missing. IMO, of course, and it is all subjective.

Blacked-out rims used to be unique. Now they are just the status quo and everyone has them. Kind of like tattoos and Harleys. They used to mean something. Now since everyone has them--accountants, doctors, etc--they have lost their aura and appeal and are so common today that they don't stand out like they did.

Anyone else feel the same?

Originality is a trend. Trends come and go. My hunch is the blacked-out look will eventually lose its trendy status and be replaced with....? I think classic chrome will be coming back to the forefront.

2. May 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    They are wheels, not rims.

3. May 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    Wheels is fine. Generational gaps.We used to call them rims. :)

I am an old fart.

I am coming from the old days when tattoos were for Bikers, Outlaws, and Sailors and you would never see an accountant on a Harley.

4. May 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I'm probably not much younger than you. Wheels vs rims is one of my issues with the newer vernacular. A rim is part of a wheel.

As far as the newer style. I like the black wheels, but all black is a bit much and i do not think it looks as good. The wheel needs something to break it up a bit. Maybe a machined or silver rim lip or some of them have bolt heads that can be kept chrome for some contrast.

5. May 2, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    Another old fart here. When we were young a lot of the stock rims were black, and the hub caps covered up the black rims. We bought chrome or mag rims to replace the black stock rims. I guess that is why the blacked-out wheels remind us of the hubcapless black stock rims. If we couldn't afford new rims, we'd buy fancier hubcaps. I think (way back then) when we talked about wheels we were talking about the rim and tire as a whole. Also, trucks came with heavy welded rear bumpers and were usually painted white with the Dealer's name painted in black on the bumper. An upgrade was taking that old crappy bumper off and replacing it with a chrome bumper.

6. May 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I used to have white cars with white rims, that style went away then came back. Same with all my other vechiles that are black on black on black. That was a big style when I was a teen, went away for white on white, then white paint with black rims/wheels.

I personally am in love with the 'storm trooper' look on trucks these days (white body, black wheels with black accents such as door handles/mirrors/etc).

7. May 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    The black wheels are played out. I don't care what anyone says but that's the truth. Funny thing is though is that I also notice a trend in regions, that is areas like SoCal, Houston, Arizona, Las Vegas are usually the cities that start the trends and it slowly trickles up north and to the east. Prime example is when Black rockstar wheels came out, they were all over Houston and Socal, and got played out real quick because everyone had them in the South. Then I noticed an influx of posts later from northern states catching on them when the trend was already done and over with. I'm just using those wheels as an example I personally don't like them at all.

The trend right now in Houston and SoCal is slowly going to back to polished aluminum wheels with a secondary color like black, gunmetal or bronze. I just picked up a set of polished silver aluminum Method Race wheels myself that I am having some custom touches done on them.

8. May 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Rims is also old vernacular! New vernacular includes dubbs, dubb deuces and blades.

Old timers... :rolleyes:

I'm still on stock TRD Sport wheels with white lettered tires. I like the metal look and will only paint them when the clear coat is peeling and they've pitted really bad. I'm old enough to remember when the upgrade packages included chrome wheels and bumpers so I don't mind seeing some polished metal as long as it's not overdone.

9. May 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I like a very simple conservative wheel. The OEM look usually. Hence why I put a set of the OEM Tundra wheels on mine.

Just my opinion but I think all those XD/ Rockstart Bro wheels are ugly as sin and scream "I'm a douchebag and wear affliction shirts"

10. May 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Specalt

Specalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4

I miss ye oldie days. I miss big bold stripes on the sides of cars.
    I'm going back reto. Here is my concept.

Haters gunna hate. But I cant wait till I have this finished.

All I have at work is MS paint. so forgive the quality.. just get the idea.

Tacoma mochup.jpg

11. May 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    I am not knocking personal choice in style. It's all subjective. I just have noticed recently that the black wheels are in vogue and everyone is getting them--cars, trucks, minivans.

I also style my truck to my preferences and someone may not find it appealing. I just draw the line at a point where performance is effected. For instance, even though I think the mud tires look aggressive and nice, I would never add the tires simply as a matter of style. Twenty years ago I might. Now I am thinking those aggressive treads just waste gas and I will never use them.

12. May 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Blacked out wheels are fine by me as long as there's a bit of contrasting chrome or color. What i don't like is when a wheel is completly black along with the fender trim piece...makes the wheel-well area look way too big.

then again ...i have a bull bar so what the hell do i know.

13. May 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Chrome used to take me home... had me some skyjacker air shocks cranked full in the rear, 50 series tires on rear , 70's on front.... old school krager chrome rims. mounted on my 2 door 73 impala with a 400 engine. Those were some fun times.

Nows everything is bagged!! Times change.

14. May 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    Im also an oldie so for me all black is not my choice. it reminds me of those ppl back then that would not keep up with the chrome wheels and eventually they would turn black from the road soot and disk brake dust. I do however like black/alum wheels.

15. May 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    valleyflyfisher

valleyflyfisher Member

Member:
    I hear ya, OP. I too am an old fart and while I think some of the black wheel setups I have seen are sweet looking, I think that card has been played and played out. Is it just me, or does the trend in wheels seem to follow that of NASCAR? Seems like not long after whatever they run, the mass's jump on board with the same.
    Today tattoos are like mullets and acid washed jeans in our day, they are everywhere and on everyone under 30. I feel bad for some wannabe's that jumped on board that train though, for when its time to move on to the next big thing, there will be no getting a new doo from the local hair cutter, or some new Levi's to change it up, you are dying with those buggers and they certainly will not look anything like they did originally and some I've seen are pretty damn ugly to begin with.:eek: But at least they'll have company.:D

But to each their own and I respect the choice anyone who feels the need to be like the dude next door, just as long as if I don't, I am respected for my choice too.

16. May 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    What did blacked out rims used to mean?

17. May 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Wheel / rim is like engine/ motor to me. Older guys still like to use rims. As far as black wheels go I kinda like them. I also agree with your Harley and tattoo statement. Don't mean as much when everyone has them

18. May 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maybe it was like the one hiked up pant leg thing? :notsure:

19. May 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    bubbagumps

Member:

Before the trend, people would use black wheels to do something unique. Most people didn't care for them but it was still unique. Like tattoos, they are no longer unique and just a statement of blending with the status quo because everyone else has one and you dont want to be the odd guy out. Most people who used to not like them dislike them even more now that they see them more.

But again, it's not a statement against black rims. It is all subjective. I was just reflecting and wondered if any old timers felt the same.

20. May 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    For me I went with black wheels because I pretty much hate chrome anything. I could care less what's popular or being unique. I like my black on gray theme more than I ever would chrome on gray. Chrome is fine on old school cars but I think it looks tacky in modern cars especially when you get people throwing pep boys chrome all over. Only chrome wheels I like are cars that have black chrome with the darker finish such as the optional wheels on the new SRT8 300. As much as some think black is the "bro" look to me chrome wheels remind me of the bling bling 26s you would see on an Escalade. For some chrome is luxury, to me its cheap.

I agree though to each his own I respect what anyone chooses for their vehicle.

Products Discussed in

To Top