Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG AT/KO or Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
sstewart777 is on a distinguished road
sstewart777's Tacoma Gallery
BFG AT/KO or Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor?

I will need to replace my tires soon. I was told the BFG AT/KO is a good tire, but on tirerack.com the Goodyear Silent Armor rated higher.

Anyone had experience with them?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
silverstreak06 is on a distinguished road

silverstreak06's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Bfg at ko

Awesome tires, keep em rotated & they last forever. I love mine in the sand and on the street. I have owned 3 sets and have never been disapointed. They have awesome sidewall strength and are pretty quiet going downd the road.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
CK91 is on a distinguished road
CK91's Tacoma Gallery
Bfg at
Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I have the BFGs on my truck and i love them, they look great and i drove with them in the snow and they felt like they handled pretty well. I have pics of them on my truck if you want me to post them.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
SRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of light

SRFIVE's Tacoma Gallery
Having experienced both, I have to rate the GY Wrangler SA better. I have had (7) trucks, (5) with BFG A/T's 33's, 35's and 315's, good, but easily clog in loose mud and snow. The last two trucks I chose Wranglers, and they are better IMO. I plowed with the last set on my F350, and this set on my Tacoma grip well too. In fact with all the snow lately (about 24" here in NY), I've been messing around in it, and it's actually hard to get these tires to spin in 4WD.

Link to some of the vehicles I've had:
http://doodlescustomartwork.com/HISTORY.HTM
Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
HighPlains's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart777 View Post
I will need to replace my tires soon. I was told the BFG AT/KO is a good tire, but on tirerack.com the Goodyear Silent Armor rated higher.

Anyone had experience with them?
I had a set of the BFG's on a 2500HD Chevrolet. I was only able to get about 35000 miles out of them before they were literally bald. I drive many miles on dirt/gravel roads, and they chewed them to pieces. Otherwise they were good. I would not recommend them though.

My tire guy says he has quite a few sets of the Goodyear's out on oil/gas field pickups and they have a very hard time keeping them balanced.

I'm running on Michelin LTX AT2's right now and like them a lot. I liked the Michelin LTX M/S tires too.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I run Silent Armors up here in Vermont. No problems with the snow (they are snow stamp rated) & never had any balancing issues, have had em rotated & rebalanced a few times now (by Toyota). I would buy another set if need be.

A tire very similiar to BFGs is the General Grabber. I saw these next to each other at Tire Warehouse when I was tire shopping & were talked up by the Tire mgr.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my BFG AT's for a couple of years now. I rotate them every 5000 miles & been very happy with 'em so far.....
Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
might wanna check this out before you buy

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
I had the bfg At's before and would recommend them every time someone asked...until they changed to KO style with the wierd little sides on the tread makes the actual tread like .5-.75 narrower than same size old style at
Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFIVE View Post
Having experienced both, I have to rate the GY Wrangler SA better. I have had (7) trucks, (5) with BFG A/T's 33's, 35's and 315's, good, but easily clog in loose mud and snow. The last two trucks I chose Wranglers, and they are better IMO. I plowed with the last set on my F350, and this set on my Tacoma grip well too. In fact with all the snow lately (about 24" here in NY), I've been messing around in it, and it's actually hard to get these tires to spin in 4WD.

Link to some of the vehicles I've had:
http://doodlescustomartwork.com/HISTORY.HTM
My experience is similar, except I went to the Firestone Destination ATs instead of the Goodyears. The BFGs were great off-road, but in the snow and ice they were easily clogged and slippery on ice. They didn't perform horribly on snow and ice, but the Destination ATs were night and day difference. I have friends that run the Silent Armors and the Bridgestone Dueler Revos that swear by them in all conditions.

My opinion:

1) Bridgestone Revos
2) Firestone Destination ATs
3) Goodyear Silent Armors
4) Yokohama (forgot their AT tire name)

53) Bridgestone Rugged Trail T/A

10,785.26^34) Dunlop Grandtrek AT20
Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Thanks for all the info! I checked out the sruvey at tirerack.com and the Michelin LTX AT2 are the highest rated, but they don't have nearly as many reported miles on them the BFG or Duelers. However, some of the reviewers have had the GY SA's and/or BFG's and swear by the LTX.......

Anyone used the Mich LTX AT2?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with the Revos or Destination ATs.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Might want to throw Nitto Grapplers into the equation. They seem to be pretty popular on TW. I'm looking pretty hard at them after my stock Dunpoops were down.

I've had the GY SA on my Tacoma, and they were just OK.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I checked out the sruvey at tirerack.com and the Michelin LTX AT2 are the highest rated, but they don't have nearly as many reported miles on them the BFG or Duelers. However, some of the reviewers have had the GY SA's and/or BFG's and swear by the LTX.......

Anyone used the Mich LTX AT2?
I have the LTX AT2 and like them a lot. The reason you don't see many miles reported for them as the others is due to Michelin only released them a little over a year ago. I would not worry about that though...they are from Michelin. Do yourself a favor, do not buy a cheap tire. You get what you pay for...in my opinion.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #16
I looked at the Nittos and there aren't many my size. I have a 2.7L 4 cyl with 15" tires. They do look like great tires, though. I like the look of them.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #17
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I'd go with the Revos or Destination ATs.
x2
Old 12-24-2008, 04:04 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlains View Post
I have the LTX AT2 and like them a lot. The reason you don't see many miles reported for them as the others is due to Michelin only released them a little over a year ago. I would not worry about that though...they are from Michelin. Do yourself a favor, do not buy a cheap tire. You get what you pay for...in my opinion.
How many miles do you have on them? How do they do when you are on an old logging road that is all rutted up and slippery with mud? Most of my miles are on the pavement, but I do go hunting and fishing in some back-woods places several times a year.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #19
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
go with the bridgestone A/T REVOs trust me
Old 12-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #20
Quote:
How many miles do you have on them? How do they do when you are on an old logging road that is all rutted up and slippery with mud? Most of my miles are on the pavement, but I do go hunting and fishing in some back-woods places several times a year.
I do not know yet how they will do on a rutted up logging road. I've heard there is one in KS but the location is a secret. Seriously though I've run these only a little in the mud. They moved the Taco out well. It was only a little bit of slick, greasy type mud. It will be spring before I really find out how they do. I think they will do well just looking at the tread design.
They do not look really "rugged" and some people require the look that they drive in the mud while they they drive around miles and miles from the nearest mud. Check the tire survey, it may help.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT