Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Dumb Question about Tire Pressure

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
RBaptist is on a distinguished road
RBaptist's Tacoma Gallery
Dumb Question about Tire Pressure

The tires on my Tacoma say MAX Pressure 51 PSI. Is this the cold pressure that I am supposed to keep them inflated to? Or is something like 42PSI a good balance between hot and cold running conditions and load factor?

As a side... 51 PSI sounded really high to me....I had the tires rotated and balanced a month ago and supposedly they checked the pressure. When I checked it today they were at 30PSI. I caught it because my pressure light came on (it was the spare).

Anyway....I know it is a simple question...I just wanted to check.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Theres a sticker either on the driver door or on the b-pillar, open your dorr and look for it, It tells you what your tires should be inflated too, the psi on the tire itself is the tire manufacturer's max pressure for that tire
Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Never ever air up your tires to the max pressure, you're just asking for a blowout on the highway. Agreed with the above statement, look at the driver's door jamb and there should be a sticker telling you how many PSI is recommended.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Never go by the max pressure listed on the tire..... that's for the TIRE only and what it can handle.

Each vehicle has its own tire pressure recommendation - and that's based on a lot of variables of that paticular vehicle. Not only that - but you want even tire wear. I have an 07 Access Cab TRD Sport and my door jam says 29psi and I'm probably running closer to 33-34lbs.

If you ran your tires too high - your tires would wear out in the center a lot faster and your kidneys would need replaced.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
RBaptist is on a distinguished road
RBaptist's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all.
I figured that would be too high. I just wasn't sure if the sticker in the door only applied to a factory set. I am currently running at 34.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I have found this to be the most accurate test.

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/tire-pressure-chalk.php
Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^X2.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the 265/70/R16 tires, front tires are 29 psi and the rear are 32 psi.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I have found this to be the most accurate test.

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/tire-pressure-chalk.php

When you guys change tires sizes & rim widths, the tire pressure changes also.

Say for instance - you have a 33x12.50 on an 8" wide rim versus that same tire size on a 10" rim, the tire pressure will be different between the two.
That's why the chalk test is a good way to determine what pressure you need for even tire wear.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
jrsmokestacks is on a distinguished road

jrsmokestacks's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the weight your carrying. I frequently run 51psi in the rear. Your tires will NEVER blow out from running max psi, The lower the psi the higher the heat buildup in the tire and heat is what blows out tires.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
I just put 30 psi, side of the door says 29, but I add 1 psi for slightly (not even noticeable) fuel mileage.