Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Are these wheels hubcentric?

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Are these wheels hubcentric?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this, I looked up the definition but I still couldnt make the connection, thanks for your help

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Can't tell from the info given. You'll need to find out the hub bore size. If not, you can still use them just make sure to get adapters and the right lug nuts.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjunkie View Post
Can't tell from the info given. You'll need to find out the hub bore size. If not, you can still use them just make sure to get adapters and the right lug nuts.
Hmm ok. I think Ill have to call wheeler's tomorrrow and find out, I need to know to see which type of spacer I need, thank you though buddy.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
They are not. I ran these for a few months and had to use those hubcenteric rings.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #5

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
They are not. I ran these for a few months and had to use those hubcenteric rings.
Where did you get your rings from? Is there any issue with running spacers on the rings?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
I just got some new ProComp 16x8 wheels with my stock tires and am experiencing horrible steering wheel shakes. I don't think my wheels are hubcentric and I think I need the spacers. Does this sound like a common problem? Should local tire shops have these available for install?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know about local tire shops having the rings in stock. I would also make sure you get a road force balance. These couple of things should cure your shakes.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Is there any issue with running spacers on the rings?

Bump
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Hub centric means the wheel is centered on the hub and tou use flat factory styled lug nuts. Lug centric is flared nut hole with tapered acorn style lugs. The tapered shape means the hub just has to be big enough to fit and does not need to be precise because the lug nut holes will self center the wheel while tightening unless you dont seat the rim all the way. A ring is useless since it does not do anything if you have acorn style nuts.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin101 View Post
I just got some new ProComp 16x8 wheels with my stock tires and am experiencing horrible steering wheel shakes. I don't think my wheels are hubcentric and I think I need the spacers. Does this sound like a common problem? Should local tire shops have these available for install?
If your wheels are not hub centric you do not need a hub ring... you need your tires balanced.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this, I looked up the definition but I still couldnt make the connection, thanks for your help

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm
Not hub centric... just use acorn style nuts.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
the Toyota Tacoma's are lug centric...
the Wheeler's steelies are lug centric...

I ran them on my '00 Tacoma for years...
they will balance fine... using a lug centric backing plate...
Unless something else on the front end is to blame.

Most tire shops will balance using a cone front and rear on the balance machine...
unless you ask specifically for use of a lug centric backing plate...
Some tire shops still act like they don't know... or are lazy about it

If no lug centric backing plate is used...
it can be a hit or a miss deal...
sometimes you get lucky

The lug centric backing plate is used as well when road force balancing.

For those running aft. mrkt. alloys...
sometimes a standard 60* conical lug may not suffice and may be unsafe.
Primarily because of the thickness of the wheel at the lug opening...
In this case an ET (extended thread) lug nut will need to be fitted.
It is still a 60* tapered lug...
but has an extended crown that seats deeper into the wheel's lug openings
and offers more thread bite...
and in addition to that... the crown that extends into the wheels lug holes
helping to center the wheel on the lug bolts.

^ ET lug nuts are not needed when running Wheeler's steelies...
a standard 60* tapered acorn will suffice...

I recently changeed out my Wheeler's type "B" steelies for
ProComp 8069's... and came to realize the standard lugs
used for the steelies would not suffice to center the wheels at the lug bolts properly...
as well were unsafe... as they no longer had enough thread bite and balanced poorly.

just sharing my experience
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #14

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Well sounds like I'll be fine with the lugcentrics, Ill use lugcentric spacers too. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well sounds like I'll be fine with the lugcentrics, Ill use lugcentric spacers too. Thanks for the help everyone.
Per johnny at wheelers, Those are lugcentric wheels. use the acorn style lugnuts they sell. You don't need hubcentric rings, in fact he said the hubcentric rings might not even work on the steel wheels.

I have those wheels and the acorn style lugs on my tacoma, and have no vibes, so you should be all good. Just remember when you torque the lugnuts down, to do it while the tire is off the ground, not on the ground.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #16

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaPrime View Post
Per johnny at wheelers, Those are lugcentric wheels. use the acorn style lugnuts they sell. You don't need hubcentric rings, in fact he said the hubcentric rings might not even work on the steel wheels.

I have those wheels and the acorn style lugs on my tacoma, and have no vibes, so you should be all good. Just remember when you torque the lugnuts down, to do it while the tire is off the ground, not on the ground.

Awesome, thanks buddy.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome, thanks buddy.
No prob. Trust me, I was worried about it too, but I have yet to have any vibes because of the wheels. I had discount tire mount them. Johnny said they have a couple rigs there running those wheels too and none of them have vibes.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #18

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaPrime View Post
No prob. Trust me, I was worried about it too, but I have yet to have any vibes because of the wheels. I had discount tire mount them. Johnny said they have a couple rigs there running those wheels too and none of them have vibes.
That does reassure me. Saves me additonal headaches, been having some bad luck with these wheels but looks like smooth sailing from here *knock on wood*

Products Discussed in this Thread