Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What to do about tpms?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
thewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Volunteer
Name: Colby
thewhiteknight's Tacoma Gallery
What to do about tpms?

I'm selling my stock TRD sport rims and tires tomorrow and I was wondering do I need to break them down and get the tpms out or just let it go with it? I'm getting aftermarket rims so I don't know if it's compatible. I would like to keep it but if it's more trouble than it's worth I'll let it go
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
SoCal Reppin
iRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iRepLONGBEACH's Tacoma Gallery
Keep em just in case. Mine were able to fit my aftermarket rims.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Wheel and Tire Guys
Discount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant future

Discount Tire Direct's Tacoma Gallery
They should fit your aftermarket wheels. TPMS sensors aren't cheap.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct View Post
They should fit your aftermarket wheels. TPMS sensors aren't cheap.
X2.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Sell them separate from the wheels and tires, then ignore the light on the dash. You will probably get more money splitting them. Who needs their vehicle to tell them they have a low tire anyway?... just my $.02
Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Let them go and disable the TPMS. When I got my Tacoma it had aftermarket wheels without TPMS sensors. There is a thread on here about how to disable the TPMS. It involved cutting one wire and grounding it. Took me less than 5 minutes to do.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
thewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewhiteknight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If I decide to keep the tpms how do I take it out. Will I have to break it down and go from the inside or does it unscrew like the inside of the valve stem?
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
It involved cutting one wire and grounding it. Took me less than 5 minutes to do.
Later models ('08+) grounding doesn't work, you need to apply a voltage to it. The actual logic level is 5v, but people have used 12 without a problem.
Personally, I'd use 12v but run it through a 2k resistor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
If I decide to keep the tpms how do I take it out. Will I have to break it down and go from the inside or does it unscrew like the inside of the valve stem?
Have to break the bead. The stem sticks through the rim but the sensor is a couple of inches long and inside the tire.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

Well I took the tires to a shop to get the tpms out the other day.. They only charged 20 bucks to do it so not to bad..