Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Broken TPMS Sensor...

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Broken TPMS Sensor...

Mounted up the new 255/85s this afternoon. Coby (uscg2008) took a ride out to the Hobby Shop on the CG base. Got a quick tutorial on mount/dismount, running the machine etc. - did all four ourselves.

Last tire, broke off the TPMS sensor. Honestly, we neither of us even thought to watch our for te sensors, lucky we didnt break more off. Pretty sure the bead set right on top of the sensor and snapped it off.

My question is this - looks like the sensors use a grommet to maintain air roughy integrity...the one we snapped off didn't have a grommet on it, I'm assuming that I'm not losing any air then. Light is staying solid - per standard specs. Don't give a shit about not having a functional TPMS system, and don't want to pay for another new sensor. It's a product of litigation. Just sayin.

Don't want to get into a legal diatribe over having an inoperative system. Just want to know if I should replace in order to avoid a slow leak?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
If you aren't losing any air then it's fine. Just check the tire pressure to make sure
Old 05-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Dcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Anthony
Dcd5907's Tacoma Gallery
Deff the tpms system is such a pita. Wish we could pull a fuse and it be gone forever. Unless the valve stem got messed up u should be fine. It's like a threaded tube with the valve in the middle and locknut with rubber grommet on each side of the wheel surface.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The sensor has nothing to do with air staying in the tire, the valve stem keeps the air in.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
The sensor has nothing to do with air staying in the tire, the valve stem keeps the air in.
The sensor is attached to the valve stem, so he's worried he bent the whole assembly.