1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tire choice

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nobody4343, May 23, 2012.

1. May 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    nobody4343

nobody4343 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    hid headlights, black spyder jdm headlight housings, black jdm led spyder taillights, full led bulb swap, hid foglights, 3 inch pro comp lift, black out emblems, two 4 inch hid lights mounted behind the satoshi, wade vent visors, black westin nerf bars, black stubby antenna, k and n cold air intake, flowmaster delta 50 dual exhaust custom black tips, color matched satoshi grill with custom emblem
    I'm looking for new tires. Not sure if I i wanna run 265/75/r16s or 285/75/r16s. I drive around 30 miles round trip for work. I'm stuck between bfg all terrains which is what i have now or the new rugged terrains i like that new look they put on them

Any one got any suggestions

BFG rugged terrains
    [​IMG]
    BFG All Terrains
    [​IMG]

2. May 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    One is a All terrain tire and the other is a Highway tire meant to look tough.

AT will be heavier and drop mpg but better off road

Take your pick.

Both have gotten good reviews.

If you search the Rugged Terrain has been out for a bit and there are about a dozen or so running them.

Just be aware they look like a AT tire but are meant for on road mainly, if you see off road much they will not be up to the task.

3. May 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    shawntr27

shawntr27 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Philomath, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Trd SR5
    ARE canopy TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Exhaust
    I have been trying to decide between these 2 tires also. The only reason holding me back from getting the AT is that I really haven't done much off road & the gas prices in Oregon might be the highest in the nation right now. Now that I do live in western Oregon we do get some nasty weather most of the year and there is always opportunity to do some off road. Since I really have not heard how the Rugged Terrain perform on snow/ice, & even just mild off road, I feel like I don't want to be stuck wishing I had the AT's. I do know that a lot of guys at work really like the AT's though.

4. May 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    CrewCab

CrewCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC Prerunner SR5 Nautical Blue
    16x8 Moto Metal 951, 265/70/16 BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's,Chrome door handles, Toyota door sill protectors, 13" antenna
    I just got a set of the Rugged Terrains last weekend, I am really happy with the tires overall. I also had planned on the A/T's but I don't go off road much plus the extra $$ for the A/T just wasn't worth it to me. The Rugged Terrains do look more aggressive once mounted on a wheel than they do in pics or even in the store. For my style of driving these were the right choice for me. Living in Florida I needed a better wet weather tire than a off road tire so these worked best for my needs and they really do look great on the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. May 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Depends on what your needs are. Sounds like you do a lot of highway driving. Do you do much if any offroading?

6. May 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    mgiguere20

mgiguere20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport DCLB
    5100's, K&N intake, grillecraft grill, complete stereo
    I've got rugged terrains and couldn't be happier, but I don't do much off-roading. They look mean though.

7. May 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    nobody4343

nobody4343 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    hid headlights, black spyder jdm headlight housings, black jdm led spyder taillights, full led bulb swap, hid foglights, 3 inch pro comp lift, black out emblems, two 4 inch hid lights mounted behind the satoshi, wade vent visors, black westin nerf bars, black stubby antenna, k and n cold air intake, flowmaster delta 50 dual exhaust custom black tips, color matched satoshi grill with custom emblem
    I live in so cal I'm not use to this Kind of desert offroading. back home in new Mexico I did some mudding. out here I haven't even left the payment much if I have it was dirt road nothing major. I actually like the look of the rugged terrains. I have the ats with around 30 percent thread so if I do off road I'll just slap the ats on. I wanna go to 285s I think they just look better then 265s. They should fit since I have the procomp 3 inch lift. I'm gnna keep my stock rims with the ats mounted. The new tires will go on my new rebel racing outlaw II

Products Discussed in

To Top